Here are the contents of this month’s newsletter:
- “The Best Medicine” CAME OUT OCTOBER 6
- “Point Me to Jesus” Podcast
- TV Interview about “The Best Medicine”
- “War Horses” Receives International Recognition
- Today’s Christian Living “Ask Dr. Walt” column
- A Saved Marriage
- Answers to last month’s prayers
- Prayer requests for this month
- Past Issues
1) “The Best Medicine” CAME OUT OCTOBER 6
Well, it finally launched . . . my 37th book, “The Best Medicine: Tales of Humor and Hope from a Small-Town Doctor.” With the help of an amazing launch team of almost 200 friends and fans, the book achieved a number of significant milestones on Amazon.com in a number of categories:
- INCREDIBLE REVIEWS
- Customer Reviews: 4.9 out of 5 stars with 97 ratings
- BEST SELLER CATEGORIES
- #1 Best Seller in Family & General Practice (Kindle Store)
- #1 Best Seller in Doctors and Medicine Humor (Paperback)
- #5 Best Seller in Family Practice Medicine (Paperback)
- #6 Best Seller in Family Practice Medicine (Paperback)
- #7 Best Seller in Spiritual Biography (Paperback)
- #9 Best Seller in Biographies of Christianity (Paperback)
- #11 Best Seller in Religious Leader Biographies (Paperback)
- NEW RELEASE CATEGORIES
- #1 New Release in Family & General Practice (Kindle Store)
- #1 New Release in Doctors and Medicine Humor (Paperback)
- #1 New Release in Family Practice Medicine (Paperback)
- #1 New Release in Spiritual Biography (Paperback)
- #1 New Release in Family Practice Medicine (Kindle)
- #1 New Release in Professional and Technical (Kindle Store)
If you haven’t ordered one, you can get one here.
2) “Point Me to Jesus” Podcast
I was honored to be interviewed by Tara McClary Reeves for her “Point Me to Jesus Podcast” talking about my book, “The Best Medicine: Tales of Humor and Hope from a Small-Town Doctor.” It was a lovely discussion, and I hope you’ll enjoy it. You can listen here.
3) TV Interview about “The Best Medicine”
Click here to watch a short (~5 minute) TV interview I did with a Tampa stations about “The Best Medicine.” The titled the interview, “The Best Medicine is a book about the past that remains relevant today.”
4) “War Horses” Receives International Recognition
As I continue to work on my book about my father’s WWII heroics, I was SO excited to learn that the first three chapters received an International Page Turner “Finalist” and “Highly Commended” Awards. Out of the thousands of entries, 28 are 2020 “Highly Commended” award winners and another 12 are “Writing Award Finalist” winners. Now, if we can just find a publisher!
5) Today’s Christian Living “Ask Dr. Walt” column
I enjoy being able to answer questions from the readers of Today’s Christian Living magazine in my “Ask Dr. Walt” column. Here are my Q&As from the November 2020 issue You can click on any you’re interested in reading. I hope you’ll consider getting a subscription:
- Why try? I have bad genes!
- I read your column and enjoy it, and you’re always harping on us readers to improve our health. But, my family has really poor genes. Everyone in our family has died young. I guess I will also. So, why not just enjoy the ride? – Genetic Disaster in Georgia
- Primary or secondary prevention?
- I overheard two friends talking about preventive medicine. They were talking about primary and secondary prevention, but I’m not sure I understand the difference. Do you? – Curious in Connecticut
- Preventing heart disease
- All the men and most of the women in my family have died in their 40s or 50s from heart attacks, stroke, or heart failure. Am I doomed to the same? – Heavy Heart in Hawaii
- Living Longer
- What do you recommend to people to help them live better and longer? – Looking for Durability in Delaware
6) A Saved Marriage
I was SO encouraged to receive a note from an old friend, a family physician. He recommends a message I once gave on “How to Cherish Your Wife” to some of his patients whose marriage is struggling. He wrote, “Just want you to know that I have used this [recording] on two different occasions, and your work has been very inspirational. Likely contributed to the salvation of a struggling marriage recently.” We often don’t learn, this side of heaven, how the Lord uses our words and actions in helping others. But, when He does, it’s a blessing indeed. And, to Him be the glory for whatever He accomplishes in and through each of us.
By the way, I originally gave this talk at Focus on the Family back in the early 90s. If you’d be interested, it’s available at several sources:
- Focus on the Family Broadcast: “How to Cherish Your Wife — Part One.”
- Focus on the Family Broadcast: “How to Cherish Your Wife — Part Two.”
- Focus on the Family Broadcast: “How Your Differences Strengthen Your Marriage.”
- Here’s another recording of this talk that I gave this at a nearby church, the Little Log Church in Palmer Lake, CO.
- Also, if you prefer reading, much of this material is contained in my and Barb’s book, “His Brain, Her Brain: How divinely designed differences can strengthen your marriage.”
7) Answers to Last Month’s Prayers
- Thanks for praying for those attending our Re-Engage Marriage Enhancement. We’ve now completed 11 of 16 steps in the process and have only had one couple back out so far. Your prayers are effective.
- I’m SO thankful that the manuscript for my second Kissimmee book, “The Best Gift: More Tales from a Small-Town Doctor in Old Florida,” was completed and submitted on time. YEA! Thanks for praying me through the writing.
- Thanks for your ongoing prayers for the other three books I’m working on. You are the wind beneath my wings!!!
8) Prayer Requests for Upcoming Events
- Continued prayers for our Re-Engage Marriage Enhancement.
- Continued prayers for my WWII book: for the ongoing revisions and the arrival of a “promised” contract with a publisher.
- Prayers as I receive back the suggested edits for a book that will be released in April 2021: “Natural Medicines: The Truth about the Most Effective Herbs, Vitamins, and Supplements for Common Conditions.”
9) Past Issues of our family newsletter
- “The Best Medicine” Releases on October 6.
- Jerry B. Jenkins Wrote the Foreword for “The Best Medicine”
- You Can Read the First Six Chapters for Free
- “The Best Gift” Manuscript Turned In.
- Working on “The Natural Medicines Handbook.”
- Update on Dad’s WWII Book
- Cherish Your Wife Broadcast
- Barb and I are in a COVID-19 Vaccine Study
- Still More great endorsements for “The Best Medicine”
- Last chance to read an early copy of “The Best Medicine”
- Today’s Christian Living “Ask Dr. Walt” column
- My still-unpublished WWII book has been nominated for an international award
- Barb and I are in a COVID Vaccine Study
- Hate is too great a burden to bear: My Past as a Racist
- More Nice Endorsements for “The Best Medicine”
- Want to Read “Best Medicine” before everyone else?