Here is the Table of Contents for the November edition of our Family Newsletter:
- Family Update
- Several of Dr. Walt’s books on clearance sale – great gift ideas
- TSI: The Gabon Virus – autographed copies available – great gift idea
- His Brain, Her Brain Update and Review
- Bryson City Secrets Review
- Dr. Walt Interviewed for article on childhood obesity
- Dr. Walt and Barb’s Focus on the Family Interview in the “Best of 2009” Events of the last month
- Upcoming Events
We thought our two days of snow in September were unusual, until we had three snows in October, the most recent being the worst October blizzard since 1997 – over 16 inches of snow that was mixed with 40 MPH winds to result in four to give foot drifts. And to think – winter’s not even here yet.
Our biggest news, of course, concerns the healthy birth of our newest granddaughter, Sarah Elisabeth. So many of you sent positive notes and persistent prayers – all of which we appreciated so very much.
Providentially, Kate, Barb, and I were already scheduled to fly into Atlanta and so we were there for the delivery. It was a real blessing for us.
We had asked you to praying daily for Scott, Jennifer, Anna Kate, and Sarah Elisabeth. Here are the answers of our requests:
- That Sarah Elisabeth would be born alive and well – she was!
- That she would need little or no time in the NICU – she spent NO time in the NICU and just a week in the Special Care Nursery.
- That Jennifer would remain healthy and do well with the surgery – and, she did.
- That Scott would be guided by the Lord to balance wisely the difficulties and responsibilities of work, being a single dad, and being a husband – and, he did.
- For wisdom for the doctors and healthcare team caring for Jennifer and Sarah Elisabeth – which they had in large measure.
- That the Spirit of the Lord would give Scott and Jennifer peace during these difficult times and that he will use these events to draw them more closely to Himself – which He did.
We hope all is well with you and yours.
Several of Dr. Walt’s books on clearance sale for $4.99 – great gift ideas
- Super Sized Kids: How to protect your child from the obesity threat – Hardcover – Autographed by Dr. Walt
- Lintball Leo’s Not-So-Stupid Questions About Your Body – Softcover – Autographed
- Going Public with Your Faith – Softcover – Autographed by Dr. Walt
- God’s Design for the Highly Healthy Teen – Softcover – Autographed
- Why ADHD Doesn’t Mean Disaster – Hardcover – Autographed by Dr. Walt
To special order these books, send an email to BarbLarimore@aol.com telling us:
- How many of each book you want,
- Where you want them shipped (there’s a shipping fee for each address), and
- How you want each book personalized.
TSI: The Gabon Virus – autographed copies available – great gift idea
I now have available for you copies of my first novel, autographed by both myself and Paul McCusker. These will make great holiday gifts, but the supply is limited. You can order copies here.
His Brain, Her Brain Update
Barb and I are grateful that the book we co-wrote, His Brain, Her Brain: How divinely designed differences can strengthen your marriage, is still touching so many lives. And, we just heard that it’s going into its fifth printing (in just under two years). We’re grateful.
His Brain, Her Brain Review
The book continues to receive positive reviews. Here’s one just published by Lantz Howard:
This book is filled with helpful insight to “divine design” of how God created us unique in our own way so that our marriage would be more dynamic and representative of His intended purpose in the garden.
Walt does an excellent job keeping the scientific facts and evidence clear and understandable for the layperson as well as the counselor.
Is this the best book to recommend to those who are needing guidance in their marriage? Not sure. Do you like learning about chemicals in the brain and how it affects us in one way or another? Then this is a good read.
Part 1 and Part 2 of the book are devoted to building a foundation of the scientific evidence of his and her brain. This is not a textbook or dry science, Walt and Barb pieced interactive stories throughout the book to keep it moving towards pragmatics.
Yes, males and females are different, but this book allows you to see how this will help or hinder your marriage according to our brains.
You can find the full review here.
Bryson City Secrets Review
We received this very kind review on the third book in the Bryson City series:
Imagine a small town nestled in the Smoky Mountains where the pace of life is slower, friends meet to eat and chat at the local drug store, and amazing gourmet meals are served up in generous portions at rustic inns.
This is exactly what awaits you in Bryson City.
In this third book by Dr Larimore, we get to know some familiar, friendly faces even more intimately and we are introduced to new and colorful personalities. Many tales are laced with abundant humor but also sorrow and death are faced. Some very poignant moments of grief and loss bring tears to your eyes and a feeling of deep sympathy towards the bereaved families.
Dr. Larimore shares the incredibly heartbreaking and true story of why he and his family left the town which they had just started to embrace as home. He shares with honesty and great sensitivity the situation through which God gave them wisdom, peace, and a real sense of His presence. The Larimore family’s rock solid faith in Jesus Christ is so apparent and inspiring. God brings light to the truth and healing begins.
Again, this book is a must read! Dr Larimore’ heartwarming storytelling keeps you laughing and crying through a book that is hard to put down.
You can find the full review here.
Dr. Walt Interviewed for article on childhood obesity
Dr. Walt was quoted in an article in the October 25th edition of the Fredericksburg New on “School kids need recess – and lots of it – to thrive and learn.” You can read the interview here.
You can also order my book, Super Sized Kids: How to protect your child from the obesity threat, on clearance. See the details, above.
Dr. Walt and Barb’s Focus on the Family Interview in the “Best of 2009”
We’ve just found out that Dr. James Dobson’s interview on our book, “His Brain, Her Brain: How divinely designed differences can strengthen your marriage,” will be reaired on the Focus on the Family daily national radio program on December 16. It will be part of their “Best of 2009” series.
We could not be more delighted and hope you will check it out. On December 16th, you can listen to the program on the Internet, or find a station in your area playing the program here.
Events of the last month
- Oct 4-7: Barb, Kate, and I traveled from Chicago to Atlanta where I attended the National Advisory Council on Sexual Health (NAC) of the Center for Excellence in Sexual Health (CESH) at Morehouse School of Medicine. You can read more about the NAC here. Barb and Kate stayed with Scott. And, we all went to the hospital on Monday, October 5th, to welcome little Miss Sarah Elisabeth into the world. We loved our two days with her and then flew home on Wednesday.
- Oct 15: Barb flew to Orlando to visit with friends, while I flew to Seattle to speak at a couple of events for the Legacy Institute. I taught two medical workshops (“Spiritual Interventions in Clinical Practice” and “10 Essentials of Happy, Healthy People”). After a book signing and VIP event, I spoke at their annual fundraising banquet on “His Brain, Her Brain.” It was a wonderful day of ministry.
- Oct 16-20: I’ll flew to Orlando to join Barb. I spoke on our book, “His Brain, Her Brain,” at the First Baptist Church on Friday evening and twice on Sunday morning. The two Sunday morning sessions were to all of their Sunday school classes. The talks seemed well received, for which we were very thankful. We also did two book signings. After a day of rest with friends, we’ll flew home on Tuesday.
- Oct 22-25: Barb and I will flew to Grand Rapids, Michigan, and then drove out to the Maranatha Bible Conference Center on the shore of Lake Michigan to teach a weekend “His Brain, Her Brain Conference” for the Midwest region of the Christian Medical and Dental Associations (CMDA). The group was fun and enthusiastic and we feel the event was a huge success.
- Oct 25: We drove back to Grand Rapids. That evening I spoke to the students at Grand Rapids State University on “10 Essentials of Happy, Healthy People.”
- Oct 26: Barb flew home, while I spoke twice in East Lansing – one time to the medical students at Michigan State University School of Osteopathic Medicine and another time to the local CMDA Chapter (both times “The Spiritual History in Clinical Care”).
- Oct 27: I spoke three times in Grand Rapids. That morning I gave Grand Rounds at the St. Mary’s Family Medicine Residency Program (on “The ABCDs of Highly Healthy Parenting). At lunch I gave a Grand Rounds at the Spectrum Medical Center (on “10 Essentials of Happy, Healthy People). That evening I spoke to the local CMDA Chapter (on “The Spiritual History). The feedback from each of the events was very positive, for which I was grateful.
- Oct 28 – Nov 3: I’m currently ll be a Visiting Professor at the In His Image Family Medicine Residency in Tulsa, OK. During this visit I’ll be teaching the residents how to incorporate their faith into their practice using a course I co-wrote with my dear friend, Bill Peel, called “The Saline Solution.”
- Nov 1-2: I’ll be completing my teaching responsibilities at In His Image in Tulsa and then flying home Tuesday.
- Nov 4-5: Barb and I will be attending the Life Network Board meeting in Black Forest, CO.
- Nov 13-14: I’ll fly to Minneapolis to join my dear friend and co-author, Bill Peel, in presenting a “Going Public with Your Faith” Conference at Wooddale Church.
- Nov 17: Barb and I will celebrate our 36th wedding anniversary.
- Nov 19: I’ll be speaking at a Penrose Hospital Foundation social event on “His Brain, Her Brain, and Holiday Stress.”
- Nov 19: Barb will fly to Atlanta to be with Scott, Jennifer, Anna Kate, and Sarah Elisabeth.
- Nov 25-30: Kate and I will fly to Atlanta to join in for a family Thanksgiving. We’re hoping Barb’s sister, Sue, and her parents will be coming to Atlanta to join us.
We wish each of you a restful and wonderful Thanksgiving Holiday season.
- October 2009 Edition
- September 2009 Edition
- August 2009 Edition
- July 2009 Edition
- June 2009 Edition
- May 2009 Edition
You can get more information on many of Dr. Walt’s upcoming events here.
As always, Barb and I so appreciate your support, notes, calls, and especially your prayers! If you know anyone who would like to get notice of this monthly letter, as well as 2-3 time a week notices of new postings at Dr. Walt’s blog, please invite them by suggesting they go to www.DrWalt.com to register.
If you do not want to continue to receive these notices, then:
- Go to www.DrWalt.com,
- Click on the “Sign Up for Dr. Walt’s Monthly Newsletter” link in the upper right corner of the home page.
- When the registration page appears, type in the required information and then click on unsubscribe.