Here are the contents of this month’s Family Newsletter:
- Who’s Who in America
- Best Doctors in America
- National Interviews on The Ultimate Guys’ Body Book
- Significant Living article on natural medications
- CAFP News articles on vaccines
- A new printing of Alternative Medicine
- New on-line devotional, Morning Glory, Evening Grace
Events of the Last Month
I’m grateful to have received notice that I’ve been named in the 2012-2013 edition of Marquis’ Who’s Who in America and also named in the 2012 edition of U.S. News & World Report’s Best Doctor’s in America.
Who’s Who wrote:
Congratulations on being selected for the 2013 Edition of Who’s Who in America! Your inclusion in this exclusive directory distinguishes you as one of the foremost achievers in your field.
The 2013 Edition will feature approximately 95,000 of the nation’s highest achievers in every significant field of endeavor — from business and politics, to healthcare and science, to the arts and entertainment.
Although I’m grateful to have had the privilege to be led into so many fruitful endeavors, I kind of feel like Paul felt when he wrote:
The very credentials these people are waving around as something special, I’m tearing up and throwing out with the trash—along with everything else I used to take credit for.
And why? Because of Christ.
Yes, all the things I once thought were so important are (no longer as important in) my life. Compared to the high privilege of knowing Christ Jesus as my Master, firsthand, everything I once thought I had going for me is insignificant—dog dung.
I’ve dumped it all in the trash so that I could embrace Christ and be embraced by him.
I didn’t want some petty, inferior brand of righteousness that comes from keeping a list of rules when I could get the robust kind that comes from trusting Christ—God’s righteousness. (Phil 3:7-9, MSG)
Barb’s mom, Pud; sister, Sue; niece, Sue’s daughter, Laura; and Aunt Kitty, Pud’s older sister, were all here last week for a visit. It was Pud and Kitty’s first trip up here in the last 12 years (ever since we moved). We had a memory-filled, laugh-soaked visit … until the last night. Pud suffered a fall into the bath tub during the middle of the night. A goose egg on her skull and some bruises/abrasions, along with some embarrassment were all that resulted. The family made the trip back to Baton Rouge without sequele, but a subsequent Doctor’s visit resulted in an MRI which show 6 or 7 small metastatic brain lesions. She’s undergoing radiation, will temporarily lose her hair (leading Barb and Sue to cut their hair off [or, at least into “Pixie cuts”] in sympathy and honor of their mom). I hope you’ll keep Barb’s mom in your prayers.
Then, on Tuesday, Kate was being driven to work by a colleague, when they were T-boned at over 40 mph by a drunk kid (at 8 in the morning). The car Kate was in was totaled, air bags deployed, spun around twice. Both girls were battered and bruised. Kate had to have both knees stitched up (by Beth Jewell, who kindly worked Kate into a very busy schedule). But, both girls are well and recovering. Kate has some pretty impressive and deeply purple contusions over her sternum and abdomen. We’re thankful that the Lord placed guardian angels around both girls.
On the good news side, Kate’s been regularly seeing a young man since May. They both seem quite smitten by each other. We’ve shared two meals with them both (one including Barb’s family) and, so far, he’s passing our and Kate’s muster. I’m planning to start meeting with him (he’s asked me to mentor him). I’m looking forward to my time with him.
1) National Interviews on The Ultimate Guys’ Body Book
I was pleased to be interviewed by my friend, Dr. James Dobson, the founder and president of Family Talk, on his national radio program, Family Talk, about my new book, The Ultimate Guys’ Body Book: Not-so-stupid questions about your body. The three-days of interviews will likely be broadcast in September.
I was also interviewed by the Licensed to Parent radio program. I’m not sure when this interview will be broadcast. But, I will let you know.
If you want one to order one of the books for a special young man in your life:
- You can order autographed copies of the book here.
- You can read reviews of the book on Amazon.com here.
- You can download the Kindle edition here.
- You can download the Nook edition here.
1) Significant Living article on natural medications
Long-time friends know I write a bi-monthly column for Significant Living magazine. This month my column is on “Herbs, Vitamins, and Supplements: NOT as safe as you think.” You can read the article here. As you flip through the pages of the magazine, I’d encourage you to consider a subscription—for yourself and some friends.
2) CAFP News articles on vaccines
I’m pleased to have three articles on vaccines published in the most recent editions of CAFP News (a publication of the Colorado Academy of Family Physician). My dear friend and accountability partner, Reg Finger, MD, MPH, was my coauthor.
- Larimore W, Finger R. Talking to Parents About Vaccine Myths. CAFP News. 3rd Quarter. Summer 2012:18-19.
- Larimore W, Finger R. Vaccines in the News. CAFP News. 2nd Quarter. Spring 2012: 14-15.
- Finger R, Larimore W. The 2012 U.S. Immunization Schedule. CAFP News. 1st Quarter. Winter 2011: 25.
3) A new printing of Alternative Medicine
Zondervan Publishers has just notified me that one of my best-selling books, Alternative Medicine: The Christian Handbook – the options, the claims, the evidence, how to choose wisely, has just gone into its 5th printing. Obviously, this is a very popular topic, and I’m happy to have co-written this evidence-based resource for faith-based people with my good friend, Dónal O’Mathuna, PhD.
4) I hope you’ll let your family and friends know about my new on-line devotional
I’ve begun a free on-line devotional. It’s called Morning Glory, Evening Grace, which is released twice a day—once in the morning and again in the evening.
You can learn more about the devotional here and you can sign up to receive a twice-a-day email notice of each devotional.
Several of My Books Are On Sale
A number of my autographed books are on sale at my online bookstore. What better gift to give to a friend than a personalized and autographed book?
You can find those that are on sale here. Be sure to click on “books” to see them all.
Events of the last month
- July 3-7, Barb and I visited with son, Scott, daughter-in-love, Jennifer, and their two beautiful daughters in Decatur, GA. We had a wonderful visit.
- July 25-27, we flew to Baton Rouge for a family visit.
- July 28-29, we were in New Orleans where I spoke at the National Medical Association’s Annual Convention & Scientific Assembly on the topic of “Natural Medications.”
- July 30-31, we were in Nashville, TN, for the off-Broadway opening of “The Nutty Professor Musical,” co-produced by my long-time friend and business counsel, Ned McLeod.
- Aug 15, I’ll be attending a Life Network Board meeting in Colorado Springs. I’m honored to serve on the Board of this wonderful, life-affirming ministry.
- Aug 19-24, Barb and I will enjoy a beach vacation in Destin Beach, FL.
You can get more information on many of my upcoming events here.