How to prevent holiday depression and stressDecember 18, 2011
How to survive those holiday buffetsDecember 19, 2011
For those of you who are diabetics, holiday parties, desserts and buffets can throw your meal plan way off-track. Here are some tips from HealthDay News:
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention suggests how to enjoy the holidays if you’re diabetic:
- Enjoy a healthy snack before you go to a party, or pack one to take with you.
- Have small portions from the holiday buffet, and make your table far away from the food.
- Stick to low-calorie drinks, and limit alcohol to one drink a day for women, or two drinks a day for men.
- Skip poultry with skin, ham with a honey glaze, and creamy side dishes and sauces.
- Opt for veggie-based, light side dishes, especially fresh vegetables.
- Enjoy fresh fruit, instead of a piece of pie.
- Make socializing with friends and family the focus of the season, rather than food.