Peter Bowes, a news correspondent for the BBC, interviewed me on my latest book, “The Natural Medicines Handbook: The Truth about the Most Effective Herbs, Vitamins, and Supplements for Common Conditions.”
In addition to his work with BBC, Peter is the creator and host of a podcast, Live Long and Master Aging (LLAMA), which explores the science and stories behind human longevity.
A native of County Durham, England, Peter moved to the United States in 1996 and became a US citizen in 2008. Based in Los Angeles he covers news, hosts radio shows, podcasts and makes documentaries. In 2020 he founded HealthSpan Media LLC to produce media content focussing on the biology of aging, food, exercise and mindfulness.
After our interview, Peter wrote, “I’m very happy to say our podcast interview is now LIVE. I was really pleased with the way it turned out — a thoroughly enjoyable conversation.
The podcast website says, “In this conversation with Peter Bowes, Dr. Larimore, who is based in the US city of Colorado Springs, explains how he sorts fact from fiction; why he says sufferers from some of the most debilitating diseases are being offered false hope; and how simple everyday steps can be taken to promote optimum health without the need for any external interventions.”
In this interview we cover:
- A family doctor’s introduction to sharing information about natural medicines on TV
- Why consumers are easy confused by a supplement industry which is unregulated in the US.
- Access to independent quality testing labs to enhance our knowledge about nutritional supplements.
- A lack of training covering nutrition and supplementation for primary care doctors
- How to evaluate the effectiveness and safety of natural medicines based on reliable sources, such as Natural Medicines, ConsumerLab.com, and LabDoor.com
- Are we being bamboozled into taking supplements that we don’t need? What are the alternatives?
- Simple lifestyle habits like avoiding tobacco, regular movement, a good diet and restful sleep to promote good health.
- Choosing an evidence based nutrition plan for optimum health. How to filter the available information based on accessibility, cost and nutritional value.
- Why is a Mediterranean type diet highly-rated as a nutrition plan?
- Finding recipes and exercise programs that involve fun and suit the entire family
- Incorporating movement into your life, little by little, to nurture the mind and body.
- The common conditions that lead to enduring ill-health, such as heart disease, hypertension, diseases of the brain, including Alzheimer’s and the scourge of obesity.
- The advertising industry and false hope for people suffering from dementia.
- Religious struggle and health challenges.
- Daily, spiritual discipline to promote good health and wellbeing.
© Copyright WLL, INC. 2021. This blog provides a wide variety of general health information only and is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment from your regular physician. If you are concerned about your health, take what you learn from this blog and meet with your personal doctor to discuss your concerns.