Here are the contents of this month’s Family Newsletter:
- Family Update
- Upcoming Conferences for Healthcare Professionals
- Publication Updates
- 1) Top Ten Amazon.com Best Seller
- 2) Another printing of The Ultimate Guys’ Body Book
- Broadcast Updates
- 1) From Boys to Men Broadcast on “Life, Love, and Family with Dr. Tim Clinton”
- 2) The Ultimate Guys’ Body Book Broadcast on Focus on the Family
- Events of the Last Month
- Upcoming Events
What an emotional month for us. From high to low, joy to sorrow, comfort to concern.
The month started with Barb being knee deep in her “mother-of-the-bride” responsibilities planning Kate’s wedding to Charles Ritz. The festive day, Sunday, June 9, was a joy in every way. A beautiful ceremony. Wonderful friends. Perfect weather day. Lovely all around.
Then, two days later, on Tuesday, June 11, the Black Forest fire exploded into being only miles from our home … eventually incinerating 511 homes and about 25 square miles of old growth forest. As it neared our home, on Wednesday, June 12, we packed our cars and prepared to evacuate. However, on Thursday, June 13, the courageous firefighters and amazing slurry bombers fought the inferno back, and by Friday, June 14, we were able to unpack. Our relief was overwhelming. But, only to be followed by deep sadness.
On Saturday, June 15, Barb’s mom, who we called “Pud,” and who had been fighting a courageous 10-year battle with cancer, began to worsen. So, we purchased a one-way ticket from Colorado Springs to Baton Rouge for Barb, not knowing if she would be there days, weeks, or months.
Barb had the joy of caring for her mother day and night until it was clear, by Sunday, June 23, that the end was near. The family was called to her home and Pud’s only remaining sister, Kitty, and her four children had some precious time and an opportunity to all say goodbye. Then, on Monday, June 24, at 427 pm, Pud (Inez Sanford Shaw) graduated into glory with her sister and three of her children, including Barb, at her side. She passed peacefully and with a smile beaming on her face as she declared she was seeing Jesus. Can you imagine her joy?
I flew to Baton Rouge on Tuesday, June 25, and then Pud’s ceremony to celebrate her life occurred on Thursday morning, Barb delivered a beautiful eulogy. Thursday afternoon we all traveled to the family plot in Prentiss, MS, for Pud’s interment. I was honored to be the celebrant of Pud’s graveside service.
The day was full of tears and laughter as family and friends celebrated and memorized a life wonderfully lived.
Pud and her older sister, Kitty
On Sunday, June 30, we flew home to share a few quiet days together. But this last month has truly exemplified for us the truth of this ancient Scripture written by King Solomon (Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 NIV):
- There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens:
- A time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot,
- A time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build,
- A time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance,
- A time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,
- A time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away,
- A time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak,
- A time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace.
Upcoming “Grace Prescription” Conferences for Healthcare Professionals
If you are a healthcare professional, how often do you “prescribe grace” to your patients? Not just competent and compassionate care, which is important, but also specific and appropriate doses of grace that may bring your patients a step closer to a right relationship with God? Many of us in healthcare struggle with guilt and inadequacy in this area. But there is hope.
Consider joining me for one of two live seminars of a brand new course, called Grace Prescriptions, which is designed to teach you to share your faith with patients in ways that safeguard the important ethical principles of respect, sensitivity, and permission.
Originally taught in CMDA’s popular Saline Solution course, these concepts are proven to be effective as thousands of lives have been transformed. Grace Prescriptions builds on this legacy.
Here are two options for you to consider:
- Saturday, August 17 at the Community Chapel in Williamsburg, Virginia
- Saturday, October 12 at Asbury University in Wilmore, Kentucky
For information and to register call 888-230-2637 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
1) Top Ten Amazon.com Best Seller
I was delighted that my book for boys going through puberty (and their parents), The Ultimate Guys’ Body Book: Not-so-stupid questions about your body, moved into the Amazon.com #10 best-seller list for during the week of June 10, in the Children’s Books category of “Health and Maturing.”
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #13,399 in Books
- #8 in Books > Children’s Books > Science > Health > Maturing
- #76 in Books > Children’s Books > Religion > Christianity
- #77 in Books > Christian Books & Bibles > Children’s & Teens
Of course, it’s no coincidence that this was the same week that Dr. Tim Clinton broadcast his interview about the book, “From Boys to Men,” on his national radio program, “Life, Love, and Family.” You can listen to the interview here and purchase a signed copy of the book here.
2) Another printing of The Ultimate Guys’ Body Book
I’m sure that based upon #1 above, ZonderKidz has notified me that The Ultimate Guys’ Body Book: Not-so-stupid questions about your body has just gone into its 4th printing. I’m delighted the book will be able to help so many parents and boys heading into and through puberty with information that is “Biblically sound and medically reliable” … especially with the release, last this fall, of The Ultimate Girls’ Body Book: Not-so-silly questions about your body.
1) “From Boys to Men” Broadcast on “Life, Love, and Family with Dr. Tim Clinton”
On Tuesday, June 11, an interview I did with Dr. Tim Clinton about my book, The Ultimate Guys’ Body Book: Not-so-stupid questions about your body, was broadcast nationally on his “Life, Love, and Family” radio program. You can listen to the program here and purchase a signed copy of the book here. Also, you can get copies of the book and a “look inside” from Amazon here.
2) The Ultimate Guys’ Body Book Broadcast on Focus on the Family
On Monday, July 15, I will be featured on the national Focus on the Family radio broadcast titled, “Talking to Your Son About Puberty.” We’ll be discussing my book, The Ultimate Guys’ Body Book: Not-so-stupid questions about your body. You can find information about or listen to the broadcast here. Also, you can get copies of the book and a “look inside” from Amazon here or autographed copies here.
Events of the last month
- Jun 9, Kate’s wedding to Charles Ritz.
- Jun 11-12, Barb and I prepared to evacuate our home to escape from the Black Forest fire.
- Jun 13, Barb and I moved back into our home after the danger passed.
- Jun 14, Barb left Colorado Springs with a one-way ticket to Baton Rouge to care for her mother.
- Jun 24, 427 pm, Barb’s mom, Pud, graduated to glory.
- Jun 25, I flew to Baton Rouge.
- Jun 27, Barb and I attended a service to celebrate the life of Inez Sanford Shaw. Barb delivered a beautiful eulogy and I was honored to be the celebrant of Pud’s graveside service.
- Jun 30, Barb and I traveled home to spend a few days alone.
- Jul 2, I’ll be attending a Board Meeting of the Life Network in Colorado Springs. I love this ministry and the amazing work it does.
- Jul 15, I’ll be featured on the national Focus on the Family broadcast (details above).
- The rest of the month will be at home enjoying some rest before heading into the fall travel and speaking. In addition, we’ll probably travel to Baton Rouge, at least once, to attend an estate sale of Barb’s mom’s possessions.
Past Issues of our family newsletter
You can get more information on many of our upcoming events here.