Here are the contents of this month’s Family Newsletter:
1) Family Update
2) Conference Invitations for YOU
- Barb and I invite you to join us for a Marriage Retreat (2/15-17/13)
- Healthcare professionals, learn to share your faith at work (2/8-10/13)
- A Discipleship Conference for Christian Physicians (2/21-24/13)
3) Blog Updates
- The top 12 health blogs of 2012
- The top 10 Morning Glory, Evening Grace devotional blogs of 2012
4) Publication Updates
- Three Christy Nominations in one year
- Two New Magazine Articles
- Update: The Ultimate Guys’ Body Book
- Three Books to which I contributed in 2012
- Hazel Creek is now out in large print
- Upcoming Books for 2013-2014
5) Events of the Last Month
6) Upcoming Events
7) Past Issues
1) Family Update
Happy New Year to each of you! Barb and I hope each of you had a wonderful, family-filled, and warm-memory-overflowing Christmas season. And we wish for you and yours a blessed New Year.
Last month I told you that my job as Medical Director at the Mission Medical Clinic in Colorado Springs ended due to dramatically reduced donations. I was praying about what to do when a friend contacted me about a part-time opening with a wonderful group that provides employee health here in Colorado Springs called Concentra. When I talked to the group’s Medical Director, I sensed a real affinity with my goals to always provide holistic and patient-centered care. I’ve completed my basic training with the group and will begin work with them this month.
Of course, I’ll continue to reserve time to write and speak. And, Barb and I will continue to volunteer at the Mission Medical Clinic ministry in Colorado Springs.
2) Conference Invitations for YOU
Here’s a new section for our monthly newsletter that a number of you have requested. We’ll be letting you know conferences around the country at which we’re speaking and hope to meet you at one of them.
1) Barb and I invite you to join us for a Marriage Retreat (2/15-17/13)
Can you join Barb and me for a marriage conference at the Laity Lodge for Valentine’s weekend 2013? We’d love to have you join us!
Barb and I are delighted to be invited to teach a couples marriage conference for Valentine’s Day weekend. We’ll be hosted by the Laity Lodge (which is outside of San Antonio, Texas) on Friday through Sunday, February 15-17, 2013.
You can get details about the conference here and details about the Laity Lodge here. We’ll be teaching from our best-selling book, His Brain, Her Brain: How divinely designed differences can strengthen your marriage Here’s a very tentative schedule:
- Friday evening, Session 1: Differences in Perception – how men and women perceive their world differently … how and why we see, hear, smell, taste, and feel differently.
- Saturday Morning, Session 2: Differences in Processing – how men and women process differently and practical tips on dealing with our differences.
- Saturday Morning, Session 3: Differences in Communication – how men and women process differently and practical tips on dealing with our differences.
- Optional Saturday afternoon breakout sessions – Barb and I will meet separately with the men and women to discuss some important issues.
- Saturday Evening, Session 4: Differences in Sexuality – how men and women approach sex differently and practical tips on dealing with these differences.
- Sunday morning, Session 5: God’s Divine Design – a review of the wonderful truths in the Bible about how God made male and female different and differently.
I hope those of you who are married, or engaged to be married, will consider joining us for this wonderful weekend.
2) Healthcare professionals, learn to share your faith at work (2/8-10/13)
William Carr Peel, ThM, and I are partnering with the Christian Medical and Dental Associations (CMDA) to introduce a brand new course, Grace Prescriptions: Becoming a Spiritual Influence in Healthcare.
I hope you can come participate in the inaugural offering of this material at the CMDA National Headquarters in Bristol, TN, starting Friday evening, February 8, and ending at noon on Sunday, February 10. You can learn more about the conference here
3) A Discipleship Conference for Christian Physicians (2/21-24/13)
Each year the Navigators have a discipleship conference for physicians at the Glen Eyrie Castle in Colorado Springs. This year, I’ve been asked to speak at one of the luncheons for this conference. It’s a great conference and I hope you can join me there. You can learn more about the conference here.
3) Blog Update
1) The top 12 health blogs of 2012
After much thought and prayer, I decided to discontinue my daily health and medical news blog in early December. I started this twice-a-day blog in 2007 and had published nearly 5000 blogs. Of my over 700 blogs this last year, here are the most popular dozen:
TOP HEALTH BLOGS FROM DR. WALT IN 2012
- Does raspberry ketone work for weight loss? (12,096 views)
- Does Andro400 (Malaysian ginseng) boost testosterone in men? (10,605 views)
- ConsumerLab lists the top-rated vitamin and supplement brands (2,447 views)
- Taking low-dose aspirin and NSAIDs is a challenge AND Taking low-dose aspirin and NSAIDs can be a challenge (Part 2) (1,904 views)
- Is the new cold sore ointment, ColdSore FX, worth considering? (1,721 views)
- Does finger length predict a private part’s length in men? (1,644 views)
- If you are going to take Fish Oil — here’s how to take the right amount (1,163 views)
- Vaccine Myth #13: Vaccinations are made from aborted babies (1,142 views)
- My recommendations for eliminating nausea and vomiting (Morning Sickness) in pregnancy (945 views)
- How doctors die: It’s not like the rest of us, but it should be (911 views)
- Amberen a new supplement for hot flashes. Does it work? (866 views)
- My recommendations for glucosamine, chondroitin, and SAMe for 0steoarthritis (857 views)
But, these may be the #1 and #2 most important blogs I’ve ever written for you in the last five years:
2) The top 10 Morning Glory, Evening Grace devotional blogs of 2012
I will continue to publish my twice-a-day Biblical devotion, Morning Glory, Evening Grace, which you can find here. Below are the ten most popular devotions of 2012:
- The Fruit of the Spirit is … Peace – 6
- How to Have a Good Day – Be Pleasant
- The Fruit of the Spirit is … Patience – 1
- The Fruit of the Spirit is … Joy – 11
- How to Deal with a Rough Times – 1
- Purposes of Sex
- Abide in Me
- How to Deal with Rough Times – 3
- When We Believe
- The Fruit of the Spirit is … Joy – 9
If you’ve enjoyed “Morning Glory, Evening Grace,” I hope you’ll spread the word about it to your family, friends, and faith-community.
4) Publishing Updates
1. Three Christy Nominations in one year
Okay, I have a confession to make. When I practiced medicine in the Smoky Mountains in the early 1980’s, one of my favorite books about the area was Catherine Marshall’s wonderful 1967 novel, Christy. The novel is set in the year 1912, when nineteen-year-old Christy Huddleston leaves home to teach school in the Smoky Mountains – and comes to know and love the resilient people of the region, with their fierce pride, their dark superstitions, their terrible poverty, and their yearning for beauty and truth.
Since then, I’ve always had a deep admiration for any novel that was nominated for or been awarded a national Christy Award. Now, I’ve just learned that my first two solo novels have BOTH been nominated for a Christy Award in the same year!
Hazel Creek has been nominated for two Christy Awards: one in the categories of “First Novel” and the other in “Historical Fiction;” while Sugar Fork(the sequel to Hazel Creek) has also been nominated the “Historical Fiction” category. I could not be more delighted.
By the way, if you’ve not read either, autographed copies are available here. And, more about the new large print edition of Hazel Creek below.
2. Two New Magazine Articles
- Do What Matters: Get Healthy
LifeWay Christian’s More Living magazine published this article in their January 2013 edition. Unfortunately, it’s not available online, but you can learn more about this great publication here.
- Natural Medicines for Osteoporosis
Significant Living magazine, for whom I write a column, carried this article in their January 2013 edition. You can read the article here. In addition, you can click here to read the entire issue of Significant Living and consider a subscription for your home.
3. Update: The Ultimate Guys’ Body Book
My book for boys heading into and through puberty (and for their parents!) was just released last March. We were blessed that it sold more copies in one month than the publisher thought it would sell in a year! And now, we’ve just been told that it’s going into it’s third printing. We’re grateful it’s been both well received and well reviewed.
If you’d like signed copies for young men in your life, you can order them here.
4. Three Books to which I contributed in 2012
I was pleased to be asked to make small contributions to three books this last year:
Nancy Kennedy, published my story, The Richest Man, which you can read here. Nancy has also written the book, Miracles and Moments of Grace: Inspiring Stories from Military Chaplains.
My dear friend, and former colleague at Heritage Family Physicians in Kissimmee, FL, Mari Sanchez, MD, has authored this wonderful devotional for healthcare professionals. I was delighted to write the forward to this book.
Nutrition expert, Scott Stoll, MD, has authored this superb book. I was honored and privileged when Scott asked me to write the forward for this, his first book. I highly recommend it.
5. Hazel Creek is now out in large print
My first solo novel, Hazel Creek, has just been released in a large print edition. The publisher summarizes the book this way:
In the Hazel Creek Valley of the Great Smoky Mountains‚ Nathan and Callie Randolph‚ with their five unique daughters‚ wrestle to maintain their farm‚ forests‚ family‚ and faith against an unforgiving wilderness. As an evil lumber company manager seeks by every means possible to pilfer their land and clear-cut their virgin forest‚ fifteen-year-old Abbie Randolph has to help save her family’s farm and raise her sisters while preserving her faith.
6. Upcoming Books for 2013-2014
I’m continuing to work on the final edits on my next two books:
- The Ultimate Girls’ Body Book: Not-so-stupid questions about your body (a March 1 deadline for an early 2014 release).
- Grace Prescriptions: Becoming a spiritual influence in healthcare (a February 1 deadline).
5) Events of the last month
- Dec 6-12, Barb and I returned to Baton Rouge to celebrate a family reunion with Barb’s mom and her side of the family. We had a wonderful visit with family and friends – and, the weather was unseasonably warm and pleasant
- The rest of the month we were home to enjoy each other and memory-filled Christmas season. It was delightful, our first with our future son-in-law, and to top it all, it was a white Christmas!
6) Upcoming Events
- Jan 11-13, Barb and I will be in Tulsa, OK, for the annual Winter Retreat of the In His Image Family Medicine Residency. We’re always blessed by this event and look forward to fellowship with old friends and meeting quite a few of the new recruits for this year’s upcoming intern class.
- Jan 19-20, I’ll fly to Houston, TX, to preach twice on Sunday morning at the Fallbrook Church on the topic of Why ADHD Doesn’t Mean Disaster.
- Jan 22-27, we’ll be in Tampa, FL, for a couple of days of beach time and rest and then I’ll be attending an AMA RUC meeting.
7) Past Issues
You can get more information on many of my upcoming events here.