Here are some nice tips from the folks at Fox News. Of course, by now, some of us have learned the hard way, right?
- Rule No.1 – Keep your decorations “off season” in enclosed containers, this will reduce dust and mildew from accumulating – and avoid sniffles when opened.
- Rule No.2 – Avoid artificial “snow sprays” that can aggravate your sinuses, eyes and cause annoying respiratory symptom including cough.
- Rule No.3 – Watch out for those lovely faux holiday “poinsettias” if you have skin allergies, especially if you have a sensitivity to rubber, it may cause a itchy rash.
- Rule No.4 – Don’t bring in wood for the fireplace until needed, it may bring mildew and molds into your home, especially when not completely dry or damp.
- Rule No.5 – Watch out for those pesky mold spores if you have a natural, fresh Christmas tree in your home, especially if you have indoor allergies!
- Rule No.6 – If you humidify your home, measure the indoor humidity level with a low cost hygrometer, and keep the level of humidity at 50 percent or less.
- Rule No.7 – It may be best to avoid wood burning stoves or direct exposure to poorly ventilated home fireplace, especially if you have asthma or respiratory problems.
- Rule No.8 – Stay away from scented candles and potpourri, incense, room fragrance devices that can irritate your eyes and nose as well as your breathing.
- Rule No.9 – Wash all non-porous holiday decorations, with warm soapy water to clean off dust and mildew, before placing on your tree and other areas of the home.
- Rule No.10 – A HEPA air cleaner (both a portable room unit and/or central heating/ventilation system can help to reduce indoor allergens and pollutants.)
Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2010/12/20/ways-avoid-christmas-tree-holiday-allergies/#ixzz18g57yIrt