Here are the contents of this month’s newsletter:
- An Untold Story about World War 2
- Don Tabb: Cowboy Turned Preacher
- “Grace Prescriptions” Feedback
- Thanks for Supporting Our “Walk For Life”
- Nice Note on FaceBook
- Events of the Last Month
- Upcoming Events
1) An Untold Story about World War 2
Toward the end of August, I will be at the U.S. Army War College Library and the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center in Carlisle, PA, researching my latest book—a non-fiction book about World War 2. The book will feature the as-of-yet untold story of my father, the youngest Army officer of World War 2 and also one of the most decorated Army sodldiers of the war, who was also an amazing equestrian.
I’ve been working on the research for this book for almost 10 years, and hope to complete my research with this trip in August, a trip in September to the National Archives, and a final trip after the New Year to Fort Benning, Fort Stewart, and the World War 2 Museum in New Orleans.
When I’m asked about the book, I tell folks it will be like a combination of “Unbroken” and “Seabiscuit.” If you’d like to read a draft of the book’s prologue, click here.
You can read more about my father in the Hall of Heroes or the Military Times Hall of Valor. In reality the book will be about his and the 30th Infantry Regiment’s exploits from the Anzio Beachhead until the end of the war.
2) Don Tabb: Cowboy Turned Preacher
Don’t miss this wonderful story about our dear friends, Don and Mary Tabb, who discipled Barb and me in the early 1970’s … and Donald officiated at our marriage in 1973. I hope you’ll be blessed by reading his and Mary’s story. They are great examples of “well done”!!!
3) “Grace Prescriptions” Feedback
I’ve been blessed to co-author a course for health professionals on how they can bring their faith to work with them when they care for their patients. The course is titled “Grace Prescriptions: Providing Spiritual Care to Your Patients.” I’m privileged to teach this course around the country several times a year and thought that you might be blessed, as I was, by the feedback from several of the doctors who attended the course recently in Chicago:
How will this course change your practice/life?
- I now know how to approach patients about spirituality and help them take the next step in their journey. It makes me have more confidence in addressing the WHOLE patient.
- Being able to appropriately assess where someone is and walk with them.
- More willing to share my faith.
- Implement spiritual assessments, not only in clinical care, but also colleagues and conversations.
- Give me more understanding that it is going to get easier.
- Change my encounters with my patients.
- I’d like to work toward developing a spiritual care team, especially for urgent situations.
- I will start with spiritual screening/referral when appropriate, faith flags, and praying for patients.
- Actively pray for patients. Start with making spiritual health questionnaire.
- Spiritual history and faith flags/prescriptions.
- Start spiritual assessment, pray with patients.
- Hopefully lots – will do spiritual history and do faith flags.
- Changed view of evangelism by realizing it is a series of steps and that we meet people where they are.
4) Thanks for Supporting Our “Walk For Life”
On Saturday, June 4th, Barb and I participated in the 29th Annual Walk for Life to benefit Life Network. For those who did not, you can still donate electronically by clicking here. Thanks SO much for being an amazing part of my and Barb’s “Walk for Life.” You were part of:
- 100 donors
- From 20 states
- Donating just over $10,000 to a great ministry.
During our walk we thought of and prayed for each of you. I was reminded of Paul’s words from Philippians 4:16-17: “… you sent a gift … not that I seek the gift itself, but I seek for the profit which increases to your account.”
Life Network is a life-affirming ministry whose mission is to impact and transform people with the love of Christ. They compassionately serve women, men and families facing unplanned pregnancies, offering them a meaningful alternative to abortion. All of their services are provided free of charge – I am participating so they can continue serving all who walk through their doors!
Life Network ministers in many ways:
- Through the Colorado Springs Pregnancy Center, they offer pregnancy tests, STD testing, and counseling while meeting spiritual and practical needs – maternity and baby clothes, formula, diapers, parenting classes and medical ultrasounds.
- Through their LifeSteps Programthey provide practical assistance and education for teen and first-time parents from pregnancy through a child’s second year.
- Through Education for a Lifetime, they challenge teens with the message of sexual risk-avoidance, reminding them of their incredible value and worth as human beings.
- Through Bridges of Hope, they reach out to the church with the sanctity of life message and provide support to post-abortive men and women.
For more information, please visit the Life Network website here.
Thanks to so many of you for supporting us as we put our feet into action on Saturday, June 4th.
5) Nice Note on FaceBook
I’m not the biggest fan of social media in the world, but was blessed to have this very kind note sent to me:
Walt Larimore, I just want you to know that I have finished reading your first “Bryson City Tales” book to a group of residents here in an assisted living facility in Bryson City, NC.
I’m a native Bryson City Girl and loved it as well. I grew up with Ray Cunningham and we were next-door neighbors and playmates.
The residents were not from this area, but enjoyed the book because it was local stories. I was a volunteer reader at the facility …
Hope all is well with your family.
Jackie Smith Talley
6) Events of the last month
- Jun 4: Barb and I participated in the Life Network “Walk for Life” in Colorado Springs. If you’d still like to sponsor our walk, see the details above or click here.
7) Upcoming Events
- Jun 26-Jul 3: Barb and I are currently teaching a marriage conference at Spring Canyon in the Rockies. See the details here.
- Aug 20-26: I will be at the U.S. Army War College Library and the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center researching my latest book – a non-fiction book about World War 2. See the details above.
6) Past Issues of our family newsletter
You can get more information on many of our upcoming events here.