Here are the contents of this month’s newsletter:
- Family Update
- End of the Health Blog
- Publication Update
- Interview of Barb and me about our book “His Brain, Her Brain” now posted
- How a doctor prescribes grace to her patients
- Events of the Last Month
- Upcoming Events
1) Family Update
As I’ve mentioned in earlier newsletters, after much thought, discussion, and prayer, we were strongly considering moving from Woodmoor into Colorado Springs. It surprises many people to learn that our home in Woodmoor is at about 7500 feet above sea level, while Colorado Springs is located at about 6000 feet. So, needless to say, although quieter and more quaint, Woodmoor has significantly worse weather in the winter and driving can be treacherous. In addition, we were hoping to downsize to a smaller home that has single-level living.
To that end, Barb has for the last five months looked at dozens and dozens of homes, but not been able to find just the right one. Therefore, we’ve now decided to build a small home in a new development in the Springs called The Farm. We’ve just this week signed a contract and if all goes according to Hoyle, we hope to be able to move in May 2016. Prayers for us during this process will be appreciated.
2) End of the Health Blog
Well, as they say, “All good things must come to an end.” In an effort to simplify life, and a still, quiet sense of leading from the Holy Spirit, I’m ending my time as a medical journalist. I’ll be taking a sabbatical from doing radio and TV interviews on health-related topics and ending my long-running “Medical News You Can Use” blog, which has run twice-a-day since 2008. During that time I’ve posted just over 4,000 blogs. The blogs will still remain at the web site. But, I’ll be investing the significant time it took to write them into other activity.
3) Publication Update
This last year I’ve published two articles for the Christian Medical and Dental Associations discussing how health professionals can use a spiritual assessment in clinical care:
- Spiritual Assessment in Clinical Care. Part 1—The Basics. Today’s Christian Doctor 2015(Spring)
- Larimore W. Spiritual Assessment in Clinical Care. Part 2—The LORD’s LAP. Today’s Christian Doctor. 2015(Fall)
Please feel free to forward these to any health professionals that you think might be interested.
4) Interview of Barb and me about our book “His Brain, Her Brain” now posted
A few years ago, Barb and I co-wrote a book His Brain, Her Brain: How divinely designed differences can strengthen your marriage. Recently we were interviewed about the book and thought you might enjoy listening to our interactions and responses.
The interview was done by our dear friend and Reach Beyond CEO, Wayne Pederson and has been posted on the Reach Beyond podcast. If you’re looking at this site after future podcasts are posted, you’ll need to scroll down to “Podcast Episode #9.”
5) How a doctor prescribes grace to her patients
Many of you know that several times a year I co-teach a course for health professionals called Grace Prescriptions with my dear friend, Bill Peel, DMin. Recently we received some feedback from an attendee I thought you’d enjoy seeing.
Now Jennifer has posted an interview with one of the attendees at the Asbury conference, Dr. Vickie Moore, entitled How a doctor prescribes grace to her patients. See what you think. Comments will be appreciated.
In addition, during the actual conference, Jennifer wrote three blogs that you might also enjoy:
- How to write a Grace Prescription (first in a series)
- 10 Things I Learned at Grace Prescriptions (second in a series)
- Meeting patients where they are: a further report from Grace Prescriptions (third in a series)
6) Events of the last month
- Sep 29 – Oct 4: Barb and I were in Chicago where I attended at a RBRVS Update Committee We always enjoy our “Chicago time” together, and this trip was no exception. When I was not in meetings, we enjoyed a half-day at the Lincoln Park Zoo and Lincoln Park Conservatory, while enjoying another half-day at the Chicago History Museum.
- Oct 10: I was delighted to lead a morning retreat with the physicians of the Physicians Resource Council of Focus on the Family. I was privileged to serve alongside many of these wonderful Christian physicians in the past.
- Oct 10: Barb and I attended the annual fundraising banquet for Life Network, a ministry in Colorado Springs that we deeply love.
- Oct 11-14: I was in Tulsa, OK, serving as a visiting professor at the In His Image Family Medicine Residency Program. I’m always blessed by my time with these wonderful folks.
- Oct 15-16: I traveled to Chambersburg, PA, where I presented four talks on Spirituality in Health Care for Summit Health. It was an edifying and very interesting time.
- Oct 22-24: I was again with Bill Peel, DMin as we co-taught a Grace Prescriptions Conference in Raleigh.
- Oct 31-Nov 1: Barb and I attended a Generous Givers retreat at the Glen Eyrie Castle in Colorado Springs. We really enjoyed this retreat time together and meeting a number of other like-minded couples.
4) Upcoming Events
- Nov 3-4: I’m flying to Ft. Wayne, Indiana, to visit with my dear friend, Reg Finger, MD, MPH, and to speak twice to the Public Health Students at Indiana Wesleyan University where Reg teaches.
- Nov 5-7: Reg will drive me to Louisville where I will attend and speak twice at the largest medical missions meeting in the world, the Global Missions Health Conference at Southeast Christian Church.
- Nov 8: Barb and I will be attending the annual fundraising banquet for Young Life of the Tri-Lakes Area. This is just a terrific ministry here in our area and we’re delighted to support their wonderful work.
- Nov 11: I will at Board Meeting for Life Network, a ministry in Colorado Springs that I deeply love.
- Nov 12-15: I will again be with my dear friend, Bill Peel, DMin, as we will co-teach another Grace Prescriptions Conference. This time we’ll be in Indianapolis.
- Nov 22-29: Barb and I will be visiting and sharing Thanksgiving with the Decatur, GA, Larimores – Scott, Jen, Anna Kate, and Sarah Elisabeth. We are sure looking forward to our time with them.
5) Past Issues of our family newsletter
You can get more information on many of our upcoming events here.