Here are the contents of this month’s newsletter:
- News about my World War 2 Book
- Today’s Christian Living “Ask Dr. Walt” column
- Article in Christian Counseling Today
- Saturday Men’s Study
- Last Month’s Events
- Upcoming Events
1) News about my World War 2 Book
Many of you know that for the last 12 years I’ve been working on a book about my dad’s World War 2 exploits fighting on the Southern “Forgotten” Front from Anzio to Germany at the end of the war. Two months ago, I told you I had turned the draft over to my agent and have released it to scores of reviewers to examine it for historical accuracy. The reviewers have been very positive, but I had not heard from my agent until this week. Here’s his note:
Thanks for your patience. You have a pretty big tome here 😊. But I really love it. It has a great combination of history and perspective, new information the reader would like, as well as the gripping narrative of actual war that the reader loves. I don’t know how many hours you put into this, but your hourly wage may be something you don’t think about. It’s really a great addition to the thousands of books out there on WWII. Very well done. At this point, I don’t know how or why you’d have to change things. I think I could set this up well in my pitch letter and help them not see the length as an obstacle. Now…all I need is a final proposal. I like the title: Not Forgotten, then the subtitle.
I hope to have the proposal to him by Monday. I’d love it if you’d be willing to pray for Greg as he shops the book to various publishers.
2) Today’s Christian Living “Ask Dr. Walt” column
I enjoy being able to answer questions from the readers of Today’s Christian Living magazine in my “Ask Dr. Walt” column. Here are the Q&A’s from the January 2018 issue. I hope you’ll consider getting a subscription:
- The Lowdown on Yogurt
- I eat yogurt with active cultures every day. Do I still need to take a probiotic supplement?
- -Yogurt Fan in Oklahoma
- Hope for the Hair Challenged
- Do any supplements help for hair loss?
- -Losing Hair in Hawaii
- A Closer Look at Herbals
- With herbal supplements, is there any difference between root powder or root extract or other parts of the plant? Does it matter?
- -Supplement User in South Dakota
- No-Nos for High Blood Pressure
- Do you recommend any supplements for hypertension?
- -High Pressure in Mississippi
- The Buzz on Energy Drinks
- I’ve heard that energy drinks are unhealthy. How bad are they?
- -Low Energy in Louisiana
- Dishing on Sugar
- Can consumption of sugar cause infections to get worse? I’ve always thought sugar stimulates bacteria, but a doctor I asked said he didn’t think so. Isn’t sugar used to feed bacteria in the fermentation process of alcohol? If so, wouldn’t that be an indication that bacteria do feed off sugar?
- -Sweet Tooth in South Carolina
3) Article in Christian Counseling Today
I’ve had an article published in Christian Counseling Today: His Brain, Her Brain: Communication Differences. You can read the article here.
4) Saturday Men’s Study
This spring I have the privilege of teaching at a Saturday morning Men’s Breakfast at our church. Seventy to eighty men are there for this once-a-month event. I’m teaching through a book I co-wrote with Bill Peel: Workplace Grace: Becoming a Spiritual Influence at Work. Next Saturday will be our third of five sessions. I received this encouraging note from one of our pastors:
I want to thank you for leading Saturday. Well done … again. The way that you communicated the value of our work as God’s Divine calling and therefore God’s divine platform … really stirred the guys at my table. It was important for us to work through the common separation of Sacred/Secular and hear from someone other than a preacher what such a thing really means. You did that in a very striking way. Thanks for that. Awesome. I’m so grateful to have you leading our men through this. It is a deeper step for our men’s breakfast sessions and our men seem to be responding. Thanks for scratching where we itch.
Last Month’s Events
- Feb 14-18: Barb and I traveled to Cancun, Mexico, to teach a “How to Have a Crazy Good Marriage” seminar for the Christian Ophthalmologic Society. This course was based upon our book, “His Brain, Her Brain: How divinely designed differences can strengthen your marriage.” It was an incredible blessing for us to teach. The President of the Society wrote to those that attended, “We are so thankful for the Larimores and their wonderful speaking and teaching ability. I did a short video as well for the weekend that I thought we’d share.” You can view the video here.
5) Upcoming Events
- Mar 21-24: Barb and I will be in Orlando, FL, visiting old friends and I’ll be speaking at a CMDA Missions Conference.
6) Past Issues of our family newsletter
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- You can get more information on many of our upcoming events here.