Here are the contents of this month’s update:
- Focus on the Family Broadcast
- Grace Prescriptions
- Today’s Christian Living Column
- Events of the Last Month
- Upcoming Events
1) Focus on the Family Broadcast
I am delighted that Focus on the Family re-aired a talk I gave at their 1999 Physicians Conference on “How to Cherish Your Wife”. It was broadcast over two days on Monday and Tuesday, November 21-22, 2016. For the next 30 days you can listen to them on the links below.
I began researching this topic back in the mid-1990’s, and what I learned not only had an amazing impact on my marriage, but materially changed how I viewed not only my wife, Barb, but women in general. What amazing creations the Creator has intimately wrought.
Women are truly divinely designed different and differently. And, wise is the man who understands this! This information has changed me and my marriage for the better.
If you’re reading this post after December 22, 2016, the above links will have been taken down. But, here’s another recording of this talk, which I gave at the Little Log Church in Palmer Lake, CO, in 2011.
Finally, if you prefer reading, much of this material is contained in my and Barb’s book, His Brain, Her Brain: How divinely designed differences can strengthen your marriage.
In the meantime, here are a few of my other programs from the Focus on the Family Archives:
- 09/24/2014: Talking to Your Daughter About Puberty
- 07/15/2013: Talking to Your Son About Puberty
- 05/06/2013: How Your Differences Strengthen Your Marriage
- 08/31/2011: Common Medical Questions About Your Kids
2) Grace Prescriptions
I’ve been blessed to co-author a course for health professionals on how they can bring their faith to work with them when they care for their patients. The course is titled “Grace Prescriptions: Providing Spiritual Care to Your Patients.” I’m privileged to teach this course around the country several times a year and thought that you might be blessed, as I was, by the feedback from several of the health professionals who attended the course recently in Charleston, SC:
How will this course change your practice/life?
- This has given me concrete ways to incorporate my faith into my practice as well as the evidence to support my doing such.
- Numerous additional resources and ways of being more equipped to meet patients spiritual needs.
- Tools and helps to use as I connect with people – to be intentional with faith concerns.
- Have the tools/ideas to use when God presents opportunities.
- Encourage more spiritual interaction with patients.
- Be more attentive to “His moments/opportunities” to share Faith Flags/Faith stories.
- I found it very “freeing” to know that evangelism is a process and I don’t have to try to “squeeze out” fruit when there is none on the tree.
- I am a spouse of a medical professional and look forward to praying with my husband more in relation to his patients and how God wants to use him and us for His glory.
- Will use many of the ideas to improve my care to patients.
- More sensitive to patients.
- Can’t wait to use cultivation.
3) Today’s Christian Living Column
I’m privileged to write a Q&A column for Today’s Christian Living. Here are some of the questions I’ve answered for their December 2016 edition:
- Should Pain Sufferers Pin Hopes on Acupuncture?
- A Dose of Danger. Supplements Can Interact with Daily Aspirin or NSAIDs.
- Can Vitamin C Help You See?
4) Events of the last month
- Nov 8-9: Barb and I were in Decatur (in the Atlanta area) to spend some time with the Decatur Larimores and the granddaughters. We had a delightful time.
- Nov 10-12: I left Barb and went to Louisville to speak at the Global Missions Health Conference. It was a great experience for me and I was blessed to be able to minister there.
- Nov 10-16: Barb remained with the Grans and, of course, loved her time there.
- Nov 21-22: The national broadcast of Focus on the Family re-aired my talk “How to Cherish Your Wife.” Details above.
- Nov 24: We enjoyed sharing Thanksgiving, our favorite holiday of the year, with Kate and her husband, Charles.
- Nov 27-Dec 3: Barb and I returned to the In His Image Family Medicine Residency in Tulsa, OK, where I served as a visiting professor. I’m always blessed by the faculty, staff, and residents I’m honored to be with.
5) Upcoming Events
- We’ll be home for the month of December.
6) Past Issues of our family newsletter
You can get more information on many of our upcoming events here.