This prayer letter will cover from April 15 through June 15 (It’s a two-month prayer letter).
- Article in Revive Magazine – Mentored by a Milker of Cows
- Physician Resource Council
- COMING IN MAY: Workplace Grace: Becoming a Spiritual Influence at Work
- COMING IN JUNE: Time Scene Investigators: The Influenza Bomb
- Events of the last month:
- Hazel Creek novel
- Possible Movie or TV project
- Events of the next month
- Trip to Italy
1) Article in Revive Magazine – Mentored by a Milker of Cows
I’ve grateful that an article I had written about my dear friend and mentor, Bill Judge, has been published by Revive Magazine.
The article is titled “Mentored By A Milker Of Cows.” It’s the story of how this wise and gentle dairy farmer has mentored me for the last 25 years. And, I hope it will be an encouragement to you to both be in a relationship with a mentor, as well as relationships in which you can mentor others.
You can read the article here. If you like it, I hope you’ll share it with friends.
2) Physician Resource Council
From 1995 through 2004 I had the privilege to serve on Focus on the Family’s Physician Resource Council – advising the ministry on medical and health issues. When Barb and I left FOTF in 2004, I moved to “emeritus” status with the PRC.
Recently we attended a PRC dinner when the group was meeting at FOTF. We were delighted to be with so many old friends and catch up on long years. The food and fellowship were both delicious to and for us.
3) COMING IN MAY: Workplace Grace: Becoming a Spiritual Influence at Work
Many of you are aware of the Going Public with Your Faith book and small-group study curriculum that I wrote with my dear friend William Carr Peel, ThM.
Bill and I have been working for sometime on a revision of the resources and they are being released in May under a new name: Workplace Grace: Becoming a Spiritual Influence at Work.
Here’s a synopsis of the materials:
Workplace Grace flies in the face of almost everything you’ve ever read or heard about evangelism. It is written for all Christians who may not think they have a gift for evangelism but want their lives to have an impact on the people around them. It describes evangelism as a process and helps you understand how your skills and God-given gifts can easily be used to draw customers, clients, and coworkers to new life in Jesus Christ.
The new book, small group participant’s study guide, and small-group DVD course (and leader’s guide) should all be available at my e-bookstore by sometime in June.
However, if you’d like to look at the materials now, here’s where you can find them:
- Workplace Grace (book)
- Workplace Grace (DVD small group course and leader’s guide)
- Workplace Grace Participant’s Guide
4) COMING IN JUNE: Time Scene Investigators: The Influenza Bomb
Many of you are aware of my first novel, co-written with my friend, Paul McCusker, Time Scene Investigators: The Gabon Virus, which was released last summer. Of that book, one reviewed said, “”Just finished the Gabon Virus. It was a splendid tale. We hope to get many more great novels from the men. The best new authors I have found in some time.”
Well, the reviewer’s wish for another novel has come true. In June, the anxiously awaited sequel to The Gabon Virus will be released and is titled Time Scene Investigators: The Influenza Bomb.
Here’s a description of the book:
Masses of people are dying from a mysterious flu. While the TSI team searches for a cure, a notorious eco-terrorist group,Return to Earth, uses an influenza bomb to poison the water. It’s a race against time—with the outcome impacting the entire world.
By the time the team discovers that the terrorists are using the water supply to infect people, the sickness is spreading worldwide and no one has a cure. When Return to Earth makes off with a mysterious device called the influenza bomb with the intent to destroy all of mankind, Dr. Hutchinson must stop the contamination from being spread before it’s too late.
And, here are some early reviews:
- Fast-paced and gripping, this book will make us all think, “This could happen!”
- Debbie Maccomber, New York Times bestselling novelist
- Crisp prose, never-slowing action, a frighteningly plausible plot that weaves impeccably through history and across international borders, all tempered with a tender reminder of divine forgiveness.
- Jeanette Windle
- This is an international thriller with chilling relevance today. The authors have done their homework and written a totally realistic novel that may keep you awake at night! You will never again read about H1N1 outbreaks without wondering about their origins.
- Dorothy Cowling, Creator and Book Reviewer, The List
- Engaging. Innovative. Entertaining. And downright scary. Pray this story never becomes a news headline. Larimore and McCusker have penned an unforgettable tale!
- Alton Gansky, novelist
- McCusker and Larimore have crafted a chilling tale of bioterrorism. Peppered with scientific details that bring the story to life, The Influenza Bomb is delightfully disturbing and will leave the reader with a ghastly list of ‘what ifs’ that will haunt the reader long after the last page.
- Harry Kraus, MD, Bestselling Author, The Six-Liter Club and Salty Like Blood
The new book, autographed by both authors, should all be available at my ebookstore by sometime in June. However, if you’d like to preorder the book, you can do so at the Simon and Schuster website or at Amazon.
5) Events of the last month:
Mar 24 – Apr 2: Barb was in Baton Rouge visiting with family. She had a wonderful visit with her parents, family, and friends.
Mar 28 – Apr 2: I was in Tulsa, OK, serving as a visiting clinical professor at the In His Image Family Medicine Residency Program. I’m always blessed to be able to serve patients, students, residents, staff, and faculty. My teaching sessions were well received and I had a number of very fruitful counseling sessions.
Apr 14: I traveled to Kearney, Nebraska, to speak twice on the topic of “Protecting Your Child from the Obesity Epidemic.” The talks were sponsored by the Public Health Department. The media interviews and talks seemed well received and I hope will be of help to the many families and healthcare professionals who attended.
1) Hazel Creek novel
Between now and May 7th, I need to finish the final edits on my first solo novel, tentatively titled Hazel Creek. Would you pray for me during this process? I’d appreciate your prayers for wisdom and creativity as I edit – as well as the discipline to apply myself to the writing process.
2) Possible Movie or TV project
Barb and I still are praying for the movie producer who is considering a TV series or movie based upon my three Bryson City books. We are praying the Lord will give him wisdom and guidance on the next steps. We’ll let you know when we hear from him.
We know he’s incredibly busy as his next movie, “Letters from God,” is scheduled for national release in the U.S. on April 9th. We were blessed to be able to attend a screening of the movie here in Colorado Springs. If you liked “Facing the Giants” or “Fireproof,” you’ll love this wonderful family movie.
3) Events of the next month:
- Apr 18: I’ll be speaking to the Colorado Academy of Family Physicians in Colorado Springs on the topic of “Natural Medicines (herbs, vitamins, and supplements): How to find evidence-based, trustworthy, up-to-date information. How to recommend safe product.”
- Apr 28-May 2: Barb and I will fly to Chicago where I will participate in the AMA RUC meetings. These technical meetings are always very trying for me – but I pray that I may be salt and light to others who are there.
- May 8 – 24: Trip to Italy (see below)
- May 28 – Jun 1: Barb and I will fly to Atlanta. On May 29 I will speak to the American Academy of Physician Assistants on the topic of “Natural Medicines for Osteoarthritis: Evidence-Based Recommendations.” However, most of our time will be joyously spent with son, Scott, his wife, Jennifer, and their girls, Anna Kate and Sarah Elizabeth.
- Jun 2 – 6: Barb and I will fly to Washington, DC, where we will sightsee and I will participate in an AMA CPT meeting.
- Jun 13 – 20: Barb and will, as we do every year, travel to Young Life’s Crooked Creek Ranch near Frazier, Colorado, to volunteer for the week.
4) Trip to Italy
Barb and I are SO excited to have an opportunity to return to one of our favorite countries in the world – Italy. We first traveled there between medical school and residency in 1978. We returned for a nearly-one-month sabbatical in the fall of 2004. Now we are going back for the wedding of a dear friend. Here’s our schedule:
- May 8-9: Fly from Denver to Rome.
- May 9-10: Visit Rome
- May 11: Train to Venice
- May 12: Visit Venice
- May 13: Train to Cinque Terre
- May 14-15: Visit the towns of Cinque Terre
- May 16: Train to Florence
- May 17-19: Visit Florence
- May 20: Train to Rome
- May 21: Attend the wedding of Anne Hartman at St. Peter’s Bascilica in Vatican City (yes, that St. Peter’s). Annie is the youngest daughter of our dear friends, John and Cleta Hartman. John and I practiced medicine together from 1985 – 2000 in Kissimmee, FL.
- May 22-23: Visit Rome
- May 24: Travel Home
Barb and I are SO grateful for your prayer support for us and our ministries together. We could not do this without your love and the precious gift of your prayers and friendship.
Monthly Family Newsletter
If you’re interested in our family newsletter, the April 2010 issue, you can find it here.