Here are the contents of this month’s Family Newsletter:
- Family Update
- Speaking and Book Signing (Blue Ridge Book Festival in Flat Rock, NC, on May 18)
- Publication Updates (Article on vaccines and another print run for my Alternative Medicine book)
- Broadcast Update (His Brain, Her Brain Broadcast on Focus on the Family set for May 6)
- Events of the Last Month
- Upcoming Events
Barb is knee deep in her “mother-of-the-bride” responsibilities planning Kate’s wedding to Charles Ritz for Sunday, June 9. So far everything seems to be falling nicely into place. By every indication, it seems it will be a wonderful affair, especially since we have so many dear, dear friends planning to attend.
Speaking and Book Signing in Western North Carolina
For those of you within driving distance of western North Carolina, we hope you’ll consider coming to the event so we can share a visit with you. We’ll be at the event from 830 am until about 3 pm. I’ll be speaking from about 1:00 to 2:00 PM about writing my novels, Hazel Creek and Sugar Fork.
1) Article on Vaccines
A colleague and dear friend, Reginald Finger, MD, MPH, and I just had an article published in CAFP News, the official journal of the Colorado Academy of Family Physicians on the topic of “Vaccinating on Schedule Still the Best Way to Prevent Infectious Diseases.”
In the article we address the dangerous practice of delaying vaccinations for their children that many parents are now using. We conclude:
The current vaccination schedule is both safe and effective. Especially since the vaccines are scheduled at the earliest possible age, when the vaccine works best with the child’s immune system. Furthermore, unvaccinated kids can and do endanger other children who either cannot take a particular vaccine or have responded with a suboptimal immune response. The CDC has cited unvaccinated children and adults as one of the reasons behind a number of recent epidemics.
If you’d like to read the article, just email me your request at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2) Another print run for my Alternative Medicine book
Zondervan Publishers announced that the best-selling book that I had the privilege of writing with my friend, Dónal O’Mathúna, PhD, Alternative Medicine: The options, the claims, the evidence, how to choose wisely, which has been endorsed by the Christian Medical and Dental Associations, has just gone into it’s 6th printing. You can order signed copies here.
His Brain, Her Brain Broadcast on Focus on the Family set for Monday, May 6
Save the date! On Monday, May 6, Barb and I will be featured on the national Focus on the Family radio broadcast discussing our book, His Brain, Her Brain: How divinely designed differences can strengthen your marriage. You can find information here about listening to or downloading the broadcast on May 6th.
Events of the last month
- Apr 3, Barb and I attended a Physicians’ Resource Council dinner at Focus on the Family in Colorado Springs. It was a blessing to see and visit with old friends.
- Apr 10-17, Barb and I were in Baton Rouge to care for Barb’s mom and to visit family. We also took a day to enjoy the French Quarter Festival in New Orleans. Wonderful food and music. And, the weather was perfect.
- Apr 20, I taught three sessions at the Annual Scientific Assembly of the Colorado Academy of Family Physicians’ meeting in Colorado Springs. One on “Controversies About Vitamin D and Calcium Supplementation,” the second on “Natural Medicines (Herbs, Vitamins, and Supplements) to Prevent Migraine Headaches,” and the third on “Natural Medicines (Herbs, Vitamins, and Supplements) for Menopausal Symptoms.” The talks seemed well received.
- Apr 24-28, Barb and I were in Chicago where I’ll attended a meeting of the AMA’s RUC. Barb loves visiting Chicago and we always have some wonderful dinners together (this trip enjoying Bandera’s, Bella Bacino’s, Weber Grill, and Harry Carray’s).
- Arp 29, I was in studio with my friends Jim Daly and John Fuller to record a radio program for Focus on the Family. We talked about my book The Ultimate Guys’ Body Book: Not-so-stupid questions about your body. In a future newsletter, I’ll let you know when this interview will be broadcast, but it’s tentatively scheduled for Monday, July 15.
- May 7-8, I’ll make a quick trip to Atlanta, GA. I’ve been chosen by my friend, former Surgeon General David Satcher, MD, PhD, to serve on an advisory panel “to help the Center of Excellence for Sexual Health by providing advice and counsel in the development of a curriculum outline for the Parent/Caregiver’s Curriculum on Sexual Health and Responsible Sexual Behavior.” It should be a very interesting meeting.
- May 9-10, I’ll be attending the International Board Meeting for HCJB Global. I always enjoy the challenges of sitting in these meetings with this group of amazing men and women.
- May 16-20, Barb and I will fly to Atlanta to attend, sign books, and speak at the Blue Ridge Book Festival on the campus of the Blue Ridge Community College in Flat Rock, NC. For those of you within driving distance of western North Carolina, I hope you’ll consider coming to the event so we can share a visit with you. You can find driving directions here. We’ll also be able to visit son, Scott, and Jennifer and the girls in Decatur. Of course, we always look forward to our family time there.
- May 27-28, I’ll fly to Washington, DC, to make two presentations to the American Academy of Physician Assistant’s Annual Scientific Conference. I’ll be teaching twice, once on “Vitamin D and Calcium Supplementation in Osteoporosis,” and the second on “Natural Medicines (Herbs, Vitamins, and Supplements) to Prevent Migraine Headaches.”
- Then, it’s home to finish preparations for Kate’s wedding on June 9.
Past Issues of our family newsletter
You can get more information on many of our upcoming events here.