Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /homepages/45/d115947541/htdocs/blog/wp-content/plugins/really-simple-facebook-twitter-share-buttons/really-simple-facebook-twitter-share-buttons.php on line 538
Here are the contents of this month’s newsletter:
- Family Update
- Mark Your Calendars: Focus on the Family Broadcast in November
- Today’s Christian Living Column
- Praying with Patients
- Events of the Last Month
- Upcoming Events
1) Family Update
Barb and I traveled to Baton Rouge to attend a reunion with my three brothers and their families. We have not been together since Mom died ten years ago. It was so very good to see them all, share memories and stories of life events, and to visit the grave of our Dad and Mom. My hope is that this will become a yearly or every-other-year event for us all.
Standing: Billy and Rick. Kneeling: Phil and me.
2) Mark Your Calendars: Focus on the Family Broadcast in November
I am delighted to have just been notified by Focus on the Family that they are planning to re-air a talk I gave at their 1999 Physicians Conference on “How to Cherish Your Wife.”. This is tentatively scheduled for Monday-Tuesday, November 21-22, 2016. More details on the blog and in next month’s Family Update.
Here are a few of my other programs from the Focus on the Family Archives:
- AIR DATE:09/24/2014 … Talking to Your Daughter About Puberty
With Guest Walt Larimore
- AIR DATE:07/15/2013 … Talking to Your Son About Puberty
With Guest Walt Larimore
- AIR DATE:05/06/2013 … How Your Differences Strengthen Your Marriage
With Guests Walt and Barb Larimore
- AIR DATE:08/31/2011 … Common Medical Questions About Your Kids
With Guest Walt Larimore
3) Today’s Christian Living Column
I’m privileged to write a Q&A column for Today’s Christian Living. Here are some of the recent questions I’ve answered for their November 2016 edition:
- Smoking Cessation Through Vaping Just a Pipe Dream; Can E-Cigarettes help me stop smoking?
- Don’t Get Tunnel Vision About Vitamins and Supplements; Are there any vitamins or supplements to help vision?
- Give Your Memory Muscle a Workout; No matter what TV channel I watch, I seem to come across ads touting a product called Prevagen that suggest it can help me “experience improved memory, a sharper mind, and clearer thinking.” I’ve researched it a bit. It looks like it costs about $40 per month, which would be a lot more expensive than the vitamin E and ginkgo I’ve been using. Thoughts?
- Can Pornography Scramble Your Brain? I’m wrestling with an addiction to Internet pornography. My therapist says that pornography changes brain chemistry. Is this true?
- Cuckoo for Cocoa Drinks; I’ve read that cocoa can help reduce facial wrinkles. True?
4) Praying with Patients
I’ve been honored recently to have an article published in the Fall 2016 edition of Today’s Christian Doctor. It’s titled, “Praying With Our Patients.” You can see the article here. If this link should not work, you can also read the article in my Monday Memo – Praying with Our Patients. Feel free to pass this information on to any Christian health professional you know.
5) Events of the last month
- Sep 3-8: Barb and I enjoyed a delightful writing trip to Charleston, SC. It’s a marvelous place to visit.
- Sep 9-11: I joined my long-time friend, Bill Peel, to teach another Grace Prescriptions Conference for the Christian Medical and Dental Associations. The group was not large (about 25 folks), but very enthusiastic. It was a joy to teach them.
- Sep 17-18: I spent a weekend with my dear friends, Ken and Jane Daniel, in Arlington, Virginia. Worship with them at the McLean Bible Church, where I’ve been privileged to preach before, was amazing. Then, on Sunday afternoon, they took me and long-time friend and accountability partner, Dr. Fred Brown, sailing out of Annapolis, MD, and across the Chesapeake Bay. It was wonderful.
- Sep 19-21: Fred and I were at the National Archives in College Park, MD, doing more book research. It was a very fruitful trip and I added over 2500 pages of amazing material to my research database. Now I just have to pick which to use and which to discard.
- Sep 21: The afternoon of the 21st, Fred and I spent a wonderful afternoon at Fort Myer, VA, with the director of The Old Guard Museum. He took us to a rehearsal for a Change of Command Ceremony at Comney Hall, and a tour of the Caisson Platoon. I gained even more information and insights for my book.
- Sep 22-25: As mentioned above, Barb and I were in Baton Rouge for a reunion with my three brothers and their families. We had not been together since mom died nearly 10 years ago. I love my brothers and deeply enjoyed what seemed to be very little time with them.
6) Upcoming Events
- Oct 4-9: Barb and I will be in Chicago for me to attend another AMA RUC
- Oct 15-20: Barb and I’ll be at the In His Image Family Medicine Residency in Tulsa, OK, where I’ll be serving as a visiting professor.
- Oct 28-29: I’ll fly to Dallas to speak at a conference on Christian Spirituality and End of Life Health Care for the Dallas Theological Seminary and the Baylor, Scott and White Health System.
- Nov 8-9: Barb and I will fly to Atlanta to spend some time with the Decatur Larimores and the granddaughters.
- Nov 10-12: I will leave Barb in Decatur and fly to Louisville to speak at the Global Missions Health Conference.
- Nov 21-22: I’ll be featured on the national radio broadcast of Focus on the Family with a re-broadcast of my talk, “How to Cherish Your Wife.” I’ll publish links to the broadcasts on this blog each of those days.
- We’re looking forward to being home for Thanksgiving, our favorite holiday of the year.
- Nov 27-Dec 3: I’ll return to the In His Image Family Medicine Residency in Tulsa, OK, to serve as a visiting professor once again.
7) Past Issues of our family newsletter
You can get more information on many of our upcoming events here.