Here’s a question I get asked a lot: “Which diet is the best to lose weight?” There’s a lot to weigh out when it comes to diets, mainly because there is a buffet of approaches and opinions. And frankly, many are bad ones. But is there a “best one”?
Of those showing merit, a high protein, low carb diet works for many. While studies involving the Mediterranean and DASH diets have also shown good results. And now research shows eating vegan or vegetarian helps obese patients lose more weight than those on a diet including meat. Deciding what to do can leave you with information indigestion. But which one is best?
US News & World Report released its fourth annual Best Diets and the judging panel “deemed the DASH diet the best overall, as it outscored most other plans in its healthiness and likelihood to ward off diseases such as diabetes and heart disease.”
So what’s the best diet for YOU to use to lose weight? One that you develop with a registered dietician, so that it meets your needs. And remember, good nutrition needs to be balanced with regular exercise and good sleep. That’s a winning—and slimming—combination for weight loss.
Here are some more of my blogs on this topic:
- US News releases annual list of best diets
- Today’s Diets: Do They Work? Fact versus Fiction
- THE winning diets on all counts!
- DASH diet helps lower risk of cardiovascular diseases
- Study says Mediterranean-style diet may improve health in later life
- Mediterranean dieters maintain weight loss for six years
- High-protein diet helps people lose more weight
- Low-carb diet better than low-fat diet for maintaining weight loss
- Low-fiber diet may be linked to higher risk of obesity, metabolic syndrome
- Adding fiber-rich produce to diet helps people consume fewer calories
© Copyright WLL, INC. 2013.