In this prayer letter:
- 1) Recent Writing Projects
- 2) Recent Marriage Conferences
- 3) Letter of Thanks
- 4) “Communicating Through Your Differences” magazine article
- 5) How “A Real Man Can Cherish His Wife”
- 6) Medical News You Can Use
- PRAYER REQUESTS:
- 1) Current Writing Projects
- EVENTS OF THE LAST TWO MONTHS
- EVENTS OF THE NEXT TWO MONTHS
1) Recent Writing Projects
Many of you have been praying for me for the last two years on a couple of my writing projects. I’m so pleased they are done—in no small part to your prayers and the grace of God:
- I’ve finished writing and filming a new course I co-authored with pastor and theologian William Carr Peel, ThM, that is designed to teach health professionals how to bring their faith to work each day. Grace Prescriptions: Becoming a Spiritual Influence in Healthcare is now in postproduction editing and should be released by the Christian Medical and Dental Associations this fall.
- The Ultimate Girls’ Body Book: Not-So-Silly Questions About Your Body that I co-written with my long-time friend, Amaryllis Sanchez-Wohlever, MD, is a book for girls heading into and through puberty—and their parents—and is the sequel to my book, The Ultimate Guys’ Body Book: Not-so-stupid questions about your body. The book was released on January 24 and is receiving some very nice reviews. Signed copies should be available here in February. Here’s look at cover of the book:
2) Recent Marriage Conferences
Many of you were praying for Barb and me as we taught two “His Brain, Her Brain” Marriage Conferences in January, the first at the Glen Eyrie Conference Center on Friday and Saturday, January 10-11, and the second in Tulsa, OK, on January 17-18. We’re so pleased to let you know that your prayers were answered in a mighty way. We know of at least two marriages that were saved, and many others will, we believe, be improved.
The conference will be based on our book, His Brain, Her Brain: How divinely designed differences can strengthen your marriage.
3) Letter of Thanks
I received this wonderful note, which was quite a blessing to me, about a health book I wrote nearly a decade ago. I’m thankful folks are getting help from it and wanted to share this note with you, as it was such a blessing for me.
I am writing from my sister’s FaceBook account. Her name was Patty Purcell and she left us on Monday. I know she is Heaven today
We have never met but I wanted to write and thank you for what you did for (my sister) and for my brother so many years ago. I have heard many stories this week about her faith and how she brought her church family inspiration because of her commitment to God and the example she set in her life.
She often shared your teachings and took great pride in the relationship she had with you and your wife so many years ago at LSU.
4) “Communicating Through Your Differences” magazine article
Many of you know I write a column (Ask Dr. Walt) for Significant Living Magazine. Their March edition is all about marriage, and my article is entitled, “Communicating Through Your Differences.” You can read it here. I hope you enjoy it.
5) How “A Real Man Can Cherish His Wife”
I recently was asked to speak at our church, the Little Log Church, in Palmer Lake, CO, on the topic, “Real Men Know How to Cherish Their Wives.” You can listen to the sermon here. I hope you’ll listen in and be blessed. Do let me know what you think.
In addition, here are a couple of my other sermons at Little Log:
- 09/15/13: God’s Love Letter to You
- 12-30-12: The Palm Tree Christian – Principles for Thriving during the Storms of Life
6) Medical News You Can Use
I’m thankful to the Lord that my daily health news blog is garnering growing numbers of interested readers. You can see the weekday blog here or listen to by going here and clicking on the news story you want to hear. You can also sign up to receive a daily email notice about each story by clicking here and looking for the “subscribe” button.
I hope you find it both fun and informative and join m in praying the Lord will use it to help many chose to become more highly healthy!
1) Current Writing Projects
I’d be blessed if you’d continue to pray for three writing projects:
- I’m also developing a proposal for a new book, tentatively titled Straight Talk about Your Health and Fitness: A complete guide to building your personal plan for the long run. I’m working on the proposal with Philip Bishop, EdD, a long-time friend and professor of exercise science at the University of Alabama.
- Many of you are subscribers to my twice-a-day Biblical devotions, Morning Glory, Evening Grace Devotions. You can see those that are published and sign up to receive them via email here. A publisher has indicated an interest in making them into a book and that would delight me to know end.
EVENTS OF THE LAST TWO MONTHS
- Christmas, 2013, Barb and I had a delightful and restful Christmas season at soon. And, an added benefit and gift from the Lord, was that it was a beautiful white Christmas.
- Jan 10-11, Barb and I taught a “His Brain, Her Brain” Marriage Conference at the Glen Eyrie Conference Center in Colorado Springs. You can read about it above.
- Jan 17-18, Barb and I taught a second “His Brain, Her Brain” Marriage Conference at the winter retreat of the In His Image Family Medicine Residency in Tulsa, OK. You can read about it above.
- Jan 22-24, 27, Barb and I visited Scott, Jennifer, and the girls in Decatur, GA. We’re always blessed to visit with the “Decatur Larimores.”
- Jan 25-26, I taught a Grace Prescriptions conference in Augusta, GA. It was very, very well received and I think the practices of the health professionals who attended will be dramatically changed.
- Jan 29-Feb 2, Barb and I were in Phoenix where I’ll attended an AMA RUC meeting. Colorado was below zero, but we enjoyed a sunny and warm respite from the Rocky Mountain snow and ice.
- Feb 6-9, I’ll be taught and filmed a Grace Prescriptions conference at Asbury College in Kentucky. The filming went extremely well. You can read more details about the conference above.
EVENTS OF THE NEXT TWO MONTHS
- Feb 18-27, Barb and I will be with our children, their spouses, and our grandchildren for a family vacation in the Orlando area. We try to all take a family vacation together each year and it is always a blessed time for us.
- Mar 10-14, I’ll be returning to the In His Image Family Medicine Residency in Tulsa, OK, to serve as a visiting professor. The students, residents, faculty, and staff always make my visits such a pleasure.
- Apr 9-15, Barb and I will go to New Orleans, LA, to attend The French Quarter Festival. This will be our third year to return to the festival and we’re looking forward to visits with family and good friends, great food, and wonderful music.
A Final Thank You!!!
Barb and I are SO grateful for your prayer support for our ministry and for us. We simply could not do this without the precious gift of your prayers and friendship.