Here are the contents of this month’s Family Newsletter:
- Family Update
- A Person’s A Person, No Matter How Small
- Barb and I are teaching a Marriage Conference in Colorado Springs in January
- The Spiritual History
- Publication Updates
- 1) Article on Thrive Through Thanks
- 2) The Ultimate Girls’ Body Book
- 3) Letter of Thanks on Becoming Highly Healthy
- Broadcast Updates
- 1) How to Cherish Your Wife
- 2) Medical News You Can Use
- Events of the Last Month
- Upcoming Events
My and Barb’s favorite holiday, by far, is Thanksgiving – family, faith community, food, and football. But this year it was sad, in a way, as it was the first of our lives without either of our parents being alive. Nevertheless, we were able to remember their lives and honor the impact they had on our family and us. Indeed, life does goes on.
Daughter, Kate, and her husband of five month, Charles, celebrated their first Thanksgiving as a new family, and Kate successfully prepared her first holiday meal ever. We were awfully proud of her for doing so, as Charles and his immediate family enjoyed the fruit of her labor.
Son, Scott, and Jennifer and their girls, Anna Kate and Sarah Elisabeth, welcomed us to their home in Decatur, Georgia, where we and Jennifer’s parents and brother celebrated a wonderful holiday. Scott did an amazing job with the feast and Jennifer’s desserts were delicious.
So, our initial sadness was overcome by delightful family time and the creation of another set of warm and wonderful memories to begin the holiday season
We hope that you and yours had a warm-memory-creating, family filled Thanksgiving and have a magnificent that you have a blessed holiday season.
A Person’s A Person, No Matter How Small
I have and love the opportunity to present this talk at Pregnancy Resource Center Fundraiser Events across the country every year. These are amazing ministries do remarkable work for women in crisis pregnancies across the country.
One PRC director wrote me to say, “Walt, you were the most meaningful Gala speaker I’ve ever heard! Your stories are a cross between those of James Herriot and Garrison Keillor. Our attendees laughed and cried, but most of all, they were deeply moved.”
Most recently I was at the fundraiser for the PRC started by Pastor Tommy Nelson’s Denton Bible Church and the director of the event there was kind enough to record the event so you could listen to it. I hope, at the very least, that it’s a blessing for you. This hyperlink should take you to the recording.
By the way, the stories in this presentation come from my Bryson City books. If you’d like to order any one of the books, just click on the one(s) you want.
Barb and I are teaching a Marriage Conference in Colorado Springs in January
For those of you who live in the Colorado Springs area, Barb and I will be teaching a marriage conference at the Glen Eyrie Conference Center on Friday and Saturday, January 10-11. The conference will be based on our book, His Brain, Her Brain: How divinely designed differences can strengthen your marriage.
This conference was originally scheduled for September, but the flash floods in Colorado Springs caused it to be canceled and rescheduled. So, we hope you can come!
Our small group leader wrote this note about the Conference:
The Conference is more about understanding the opposite sex and thus one will drastically improve their marriage. It is open and encouraged for singles as well as couples. We feel anyone 18 or older will benefit.
Friday evening will start around 6 pm (to be finalized) with coffee and dessert available while Walt and Barb teach. That evening is expected to end around 9:30 pm. Saturday will go from about 8:30 am to around 7:30 pm. A continental breakfast, lunch and nice dinner will be included. A nice personal picture will be taken during the day.
Walt and Barb will have copies of their book there for sale and will be happy to autograph them. It is not necessary to read the book prior to the seminar.
Please feel free to share this with all your clients/friends. Anyone who wants to sign up should call 719-481-2409. The cost is $175 per couple.
The Spiritual History
In the talk, I address:
- why health professionals are reluctant to take a spiritual history,
- the positive association of spirituality/religiosity and physical/mental health, and
- several spiritual history tools for health professionals to consider for use in clinical care.
You can also download a copy of the handout from my presentation here.
1) Article on Thrive Through Thanks
As long-time readers know, I have the pleasure of writing a column for the Significant Living magazine. My most recent article, “Thrive Through Thanks,” can be viewed here. You can also check out the entire Table of Contents here.
Here are some of the other articles in the December 2013 / January 2014 edition of Significant Living:
- A Lesson from a Yule Log — A failed Christmas dessert brings a healthier perspective on expectations. (pg. 40)
- When Food Goes Missing — An absent-minded mom shares God’s grace through cooking. (pg. 44)
If you like these samplings, I hope you’ll consider getting a subscription and having this marvelous magazine delivered to your home.
2) The Ultimate Girls’ Body Book
I’m awaiting the opportunity to see the first copy of my latest book, The Ultimate Girls’ Body Book: Not-so-silly questions about your body, which is still scheduled for release before Christmas. If you know a young lady heading toward or through puberty, I hope you’ll consider getting a copy for her and her family! Signed copies will be available here after the book’s release. But you can also pre-order copies at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, or CBD.
3) Letter of Thanks on Becoming Highly Healthy
I received this wonderful note, which was quite a blessing to me, about a health book I wrote nearly a decade ago. I’m thankful folks are getting help from it and wanted to share this note with you, as it was such a blessing for me.
I came across my copy of 10 Essentials of Highly Healthy People recently as we moved. I read it in Dec 2005 and remember what a significant impact it made on me. It changed my course.
I looked it over last night and remember how much I appreciated the refreshing perspective on health – real, total health. I still believe it’s the best perspective that I know about balancing the four tires – the four big areas. I recommend it to anyone.
My biggest need back then was my physical wheel. I started working out with my son (then in high school) in 2006 and have kept it up since then. It’s one of the things that I mention to folks about how to handle stress.
Prayer and exercise – those have been the key for me. Your book taught me so much, and many times reminded me of what I knew. I just remember that it was a big turning point. God used it in a powerful way in my life.
The ripple effects on my work at Spring Canyon, being a husband, and a father have been tremendous. I’m so pleased that I’ve kept it up over the years. I’ve improved in all four wheels of health. Your book was so practical and real, and I always loved the stories.
So remember this Thanksgiving that you are on my list of people and things that I am so thankful for. And you’ll continue to be on that list. You are gifted in many ways – thank you for sharing your gifts in God’s name!
Be strong and courageous,
Thanks, for the blessing, Dean. Your friendship and feedback are both precious gifts for me. And, for you, dear reader, if you’d like to read the book, it’s available here.
1) How to Cherish Your Wife
Focus on the Family is re-broadcasting a talk I gave on “How to Cherish Your Wife.” The original talk was given at a Focus on the Family Physicians’ conference back in the 1990s. Each time they broadcast the program, it’s been one of the most popular of the entire year.
- Wednesday, November 6, DAY ONE: How to Cherish Your Wife – Part 1
- Thursday, November 7, DAY TWO: How to Cherish Your Wife – Part 2
I hope you’ll listen in and be blessed. Do let me know what you think.
2) Medical News You Can Use
My new daily health news blog launched this fall and is already garnering growing numbers of interested readers. You can see the weekday blog here or listen to by going here and clicking on the news story you want to hear.
You can also sign up to receive a daily email notice about each story by clicking here and looking for the “subscribe” button. I hope you find the blogs both fun and informative.
Events of the last month
- Oct 29-Nov 2, I returned to Tulsa to serve as a visiting professor at the In His Image Family Medicine Residency. This is always a time of great blessing for me and this trip was no exception.
- Nov 7-9, I attended and taught at the Global Health Missions Conference at the Southeast Christian Church in Louisville, KY. Being around over two thousand health professional students who are considering a career in medical missions was exhilarating.
- Nov 16-17, Barb and I celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary in Denver. We enjoyed a couple of nice meals and visiting the “Passport to Paris” art exhibit, featuring some of the works of the best of the impressionist artists over 300 years of history. It was terrific.
- Nov 24-29, we celebrated a wonderful Thanksgiving week and meal with son, Scott, daughter-in-love, Jennifer, and their girls in Decatur, Georgia.
- Dec 12-17, Barb and I will be in Baton Rouge to celebrate at the annual Shaw family reunion. We’re looking forward to seeing many family and friends. After that, we’ll be home for the Christmas season.
Past Issues of our family newsletter
You can get more information on many of our upcoming events here.