Here are the contents of this month’s Family Newsletter:
- Family Update
- Barb and I are teaching a Marriage Conference in Colorado Springs in January
- Publication Updates
- 1) Article in Charisma Magazine
- 2) The Ultimate Girls’ Body Book
- 3) Article in CAFP News
- Broadcast Updates
- 1) How to Cherish Your Wife
- 2) Medical News You Can Use
- 3) Blue Ridge Book Festival Interview
- Events of the Last Month
- Upcoming Events
Doesn’t it seem like summer flew by too quickly? Our aspens are turning and gorgeous and we’ve just had our second dusting with snow. The air is nippy, the squirrels stashing nuts and mast as fast as they can. They’re predicting a lot of cold and snow for us here in Colorado, and we’ll be thankful for the precipitation. Lord knows we need it.
But, most importantly this fall, Barb and I are heading toward a very special wedding anniversary. We’ve known each other since we were five, have been best friends since we were 16, and have been husband and wife for nearly 40 years. And, it too, seems like it has just flown by.
I’m grateful to the Lord for such a wonderful partner, soul mate, friend, and wife. I can’t imagine life with out sweet Barb. Thanks, Lord, for the gift of her to me. I’m eternally grateful.
Barb and I are teaching a Marriage Conference in Colorado Springs in January
For those of you who live in the Colorado Springs area, Barb and I will be teaching a marriage conference at the Glen Eyrie Conference Center on Friday and Saturday, January 10-11. The conference will be based on our book, His Brain, Her Brain: How divinely designed differences can strengthen your marriage.
This conference was originally scheduled for September, but the flash floods in Colorado Springs caused it to be canceled and rescheduled. So, we hope you can come!
Our small group leader wrote this note about the Conference:
The Conference is more about understanding the opposite sex and thus one will drastically improve their marriage. It is open and encouraged for singles as well as couples. We feel anyone 18 or older will benefit.
Friday evening will start around 6 pm (to be finalized) with coffee and dessert available while Walt and Barb teach. That evening is expected to end around 9:30 pm. Saturday will go from about 8:30 am to around 7:30 pm. A continental breakfast, lunch and nice dinner will be included. A nice personal picture will be taken during the day.
Walt and Barb will have copies of their book there for sale and will be happy to autograph them. It is not necessary to read the book prior to the seminar.
Please feel free to share this with all your clients/friends. Anyone who wants to sign up should call 719-481-2409. The cost is $175 per couple.
1) Article in Charisma Magazine
The article begins this way:
Recently, my wife, Barb, and I visited some friends in their home, which is just over 100 years old. It was well preserved—even immaculate. They had cared for their home lovingly and carefully, and it responded as it had been designed, giving them a comfortable place to live for many decades.
Pastors often talk of our responsibility to be good stewards of our time, talent and treasure. I would add a fourth: our temple. As the apostle Paul wrote in 1 Corinthians 6:19-20, “Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body” (NIV).
It may seem obvious, but one of the secrets to caring for your temple—to becoming and staying highly healthy—is to prevent “dis-ease” not only in your body, but also in your mind, spirit, relationships, community and church, as much as is possible.
God’s divine design for us is for what I call “the four wheels of our health”—physical, emotional, relational and spiritual—to be balanced and in alignment. Doing so simply allows us to travel many more miles.
As a family physician, I rarely saw a patient with a previously preventable medical problem who didn’t wish he or she had expended more time and effort to prevent the problem that was now troubling him or her.
You can read the entire article here.
2) The Ultimate Girls’ Body Book
I’m awaiting the final edits of The Ultimate Girls’ Body Book: Not-so-silly questions about your body, which is still scheduled for release in December. If you know a young lady heading toward or through puberty, I hope you’ll consider getting a copy for her and her family! Signed copies will be available here after release.
3) Article in CAFP News
My good friend, Reg Finger, MD, MPH, and I have another in a series of articles on vaccination updates in the journal of the Colorado Academy of Family Physicians (CAFP News). “Colorado Researchers Document Consequences of Failure to Vaccinate Children for Pertussis” is printed in the fall (4th Quarter) edition of CAFP News. If you’d like a copy of the article, let me know.
1) How to Cherish Your Wife
Focus on the Family is re-broadcasting a talk I gave on “How to Cherish Your Wife.” The original talk was given at a Focus on the Family Physicians’ conference back in the 1990s. Each time they broadcast the program, it’s been one of the most popular of the entire year.
The broadcasts are scheduled for Wednesday and Thursday, November 6-7, 2013 (although these dates are subject to change). On the scheduled airdate, the streaming audio of this broadcast will appear on the FOTF website. FOTF’s Facebook and Twitter pages will also link to the web page. Also, on or after the play date, you can download the program. Just click on the links below:
- Wednesday, November 6, DAY ONE: How to Cherish Your Wife – Part 1
- Thursday, November 7, DAY TWO: How to Cherish Your Wife – Part 2
On FOFT’s radio page, along with the broadcast, you will find a list of local radio stations that carry the program in your area.
I hope you can tune in to it, or download it and listen in. And do let me know what you think.
2) Medical News You Can Use
My new daily health news blog launched last month and is already garnering growing numbers of interested readers. You can see the weekday blog here or listen to by going here and clicking on the news story you want to hear.
You can also sign up to receive a daily email notice about each story by clicking here and looking for the “subscribe” button. I hope you find the blogs both fun and informative.
3) Blue Ridge Book Festival Interview
Events of the last month
- Oct 1-6, Barb and I were in Chicago. We had a couple of fun days together, including a surprisingly delightful day at the Museum of Science and Industry. We especially enjoyed two exhibits: (1) Colleen Moore’s Fairy Castle, and (2) the U-Boat Visit. Then I spent a few days attending an AMA RUC meeting and Barb had some solo time in downtown Chicago.
- Oct 11-12, I’ll was in Dallas working with the creative team of Bill Peel, ThM, and Gene Rudd, MD, putting together the final touches on a course for health professionals called Grace Prescriptions. We’re planning two “beta” tests of this weekend conference. The first will be in Augusta, GA, on January 24-25, 2014, and the second at Asbury College, on February 8-9, 2014. The course is designed to help Christian health professionals learn how to integrate their faith into their practice.
- Oct 19, I’ll fly to Sacramento, CA, to speak at a fundraising banquet for the newly forming Dream Center of Destiny Christian Church in Rocklin.
- Oct 24, I’ll be in Denton, TX, to speak at the annual fundraising banquet for the Women to Women Pregnancy Resource Center.
- Oct 29-Nov 2, I will be back in Tulsa serving as a visiting professor at the In His Image Family Medicine Residency.
- Nov 7-9, I’ll be attending and teaching at the Global Health Missions Conference at the Southeast Christian Church in Louisville, KY.
- Nov 16-17, Barb and I will celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary in Denver. We’re looking forward to visiting the “Paris in Denver” art exhibit, featuring some of the works of the best of the impressionist artists.
- Nov 24-29, we’ll celebrate Thanksgiving with son, Scott, daughter-in-love, Jennifer, and their girls in Decatur, Georgia.
Past Issues of our family newsletter
You can get more information on many of our upcoming events here.