Here are the contents of this month’s Family Newsletter:
- Family Update
- Dr. Walt and Barb teaching at an upcoming Marriage Conference in Colorado Springs
- Publication Updates
- 1) Article in Significant Living
- 2) The Ultimate Girls’ Body Book
- Broadcast Updates
- 1) How to Cherish Your Wife
- 2) Medical News You Can Use
- Events of the Last Month
- Upcoming Events
We’ve just returned from a beach vacation in Destin, Florida. Our time there was restorative and relaxing. We’re grateful for our time at the wonderful Henderson Park Inn. We highly recommend it.
We then drove from Florida to Baton Rouge to attend a reunion of LSU student impacted by the ministry of Campus Crusade for Christ (now called Cru) and the Chapel on Campus from 1968-1975. It was a glorious time to see so many dear friends, many of whom we’ve not seen for 40 years. The stories of the spiritual journeys were marvelous to share.
Barb and I will both be eternally grateful for the investment into our lives and our marriage made by these two wonderful ministries.
Barb and I are teaching a Marriage Conference in Colorado Springs
For those of you who live in the Colorado Springs area, Barb and I will be teaching a marriage conference at the Glen Eyrie Conference Center on Friday and Saturday, January 10-11. The conference will be based on our book, His Brain, Her Brain: How divinely designed differences can strengthen your marriage.
This conference was originally scheduled for September, but the flash floods in Colorado Springs caused it to be canceled and rescheduled. So, we hope you can come!
Our small group leader wrote this note about the Conference:
The Conference is more about understanding the opposite sex and thus one will drastically improve their marriage. It is open and encouraged for singles as well as couples. We feel anyone 18 or older will benefit.
Friday evening will start around 6 pm (to be finalized) with coffee and dessert available while Walt and Barb teach. That evening is expected to end around 9:30 pm. Saturday will go from about 8:30 am to around 7:30 pm. A continental breakfast, lunch and nice dinner will be included. A nice personal picture will be taken during the day.
Walt and Barb will have copies of their book there for sale and will be happy to autograph them. It is not necessary to read the book prior to the seminar.
Please feel free to share this with all your clients/friends. Anyone who wants to sign up should call 719-481-2409. The cost is $175 per couple.
1) Article in Significant Living
My article in the Oct-Nov issue of Significant Living is on “A Hopeful Spirit Improves Your Health.” You can read the article here.
In this issue, you will also find:
- From Tragedy to Salvation — A new ministry partnership brings hope in the midst of suffering. (pg. 30)
- Author Spotlights — 8 Christian authors share life stories and their inspiration for writing. (pg. 26)
- Significant Living Writing Contest Winners: Defender of Widows — Short-term missionaries commit to long-term love for Burmese women widowed by genocide. (pg. 20)
- Piecing Life Together — God creates a beautiful tapestry from the scraps of a broken life. (pg. 22)
- One Small Candle — A couple’s light shines brightly through short-term foster care. (pg. 24)
- A Choice to be Free — The amazing story of an Ethiopian Christian’s torture and the power of forgiveness. (pg. 36)
- Food, Family and Faith — Well-known pastors and their wives serve up family stories about why Sunday dinners are so special. (pg. 38)
- Don’t forget the many regular departments. Check out the Table of Contents. (pg. 5)
2) The Ultimate Girls’ Body Book
I’m still awaiting the final edits of The Ultimate Girls’ Body Book: Not-so-silly questions about your body, which is still scheduled for release in December. If you know a young lady heading toward or through puberty, I hope you’ll consider getting a copy for her and her family! Signed copies will be available here after release.
1) How to Cherish Your Wife
Focus on the Family is re-broadcasting a talk I gave on “How to Cherish Your Wife.” The original talk was given at a Focus on the Family conference back in the 1990s. But, each time they’ve broadcast the program, it’s been one of the most popular of the entire year.
The broadcast is scheduled for Thursday and Friday, November 7-8, 2013. On the scheduled airdate, the streaming audio of this broadcast will appear on the FOTF website. FOTF’s Facebook and Twitter pages will also link to the web page
On FOFT’s radio page, along with the broadcast, you will find a list of local radio stations that carry the program in your area. In addition, a downloadable podcast will be available on iTunes (just search for Focus on the Family Daily Broadcast).
I hope you can tune in to it, or download it and listen in. And do let me know what you think.
2) Medical News You Can Use
My new daily health news blog launched last month and is already garnering growing numbers of interested readers. You can see the weekday blog here or listen to by going here and clicking on the news story you want to hear. You can also sign up to receive a daily email notice about each story by clicking here and looking for the “subscribe” button. I hope you find it both fun and informative.
Events of the last month
- Sep 13-14, Barb and I were scheduled to co-teach a “His Brain, Her Brain” Marriage Conference at the Glen Eyrie Castle in Colorado Springs; however, due to flash flooding it was canceled and is rescheduled for January10-11, 2014.
- Sep 19-20, I attended the International Board Meeting for HCJB Global.
- Sep 20-22, I spoke at a special donor’s weekend for HCJB Global at the Garden of the Gods Club in Colorado Springs.
- Sep 23-27, Barb and I took some vacation time at a the Henderson Park Inn, a very special B&B, located on the beach in Destin, FL.
- Sep 27-29, we drove to Baton Rouge to attend a reunion of students impacted by and staff who served with Campus Crusade for Christ at LSU in the 1970s.
- Oct 1-6, we will be in Chicago. I’ll be attending an AMA RUC meeting.
- Oct 11-12, I’ll be in Dallas working with a creative team putting together the final touches on a course for health professionals called Grace Prescriptions. We’re planning two “beta” tests of this weekend conference. The first will be in Augusta, GA, on January 24-25, 2014, and the second at Asbury College, on February 8-9m, 2014. The course is designed to help Christian health professionals learn how to integrate their faith into their practice.
- Oct 19, I’ll fly to Sacramento, CA, to speak at a fundraising banquet for the newly forming Dream Center of Destiny Christian Church in Rocklin.
- Oct 24, I’ll be in Denton, TX, to speak at the annual fundraising banquet for the Women to Women Pregnancy Resource Center.
- Oct 29-Nov 2, I will be back in Tulsa serving as a visiting professor at the In His Image Family Medicine Residency.
Past Issues of our family newsletter
You can get more information on many of our upcoming events here.