Desensitization therapy helps some children with milk allergies

The CNN “The Chart” blog reports, “Researchers at Johns Hopkins University and Duke University are working on a treatment that may one day allow kids with allergies to safely eat the foods that cause them life-threatening reactions.”

In a study of 30 children with severe milk allergies, researchers attempting “to desensitize the child by giving small amounts of the allergen” found “that children who went through a year of sublingual therapy followed by one to two years of oral immunotherapy were less likely to have significant allergic reactions when undergoing the oral immunotherapy.”

In addition, “some participants have shown they can safely eat milk products up to a year after stopping the therapies,” but some “need regular exposure to milk in order to maintain protection against allergic reactions.”

Enter your email to subscribe to Dr. Walt's blogs.

You have successfully subscribed to the newsletter

There was an error while trying to send your request. Please try again.

Dr. Walt Larimore will use the information you provide on this form to be in touch with you and to provide updates and marketing.