Report finds illicit drugs bought on Internet could be poison (Ya think?)

HealthDay reports, “A case study of two men who were poisoned and turned blue after ingesting what they thought was a recreational drug that they had bought on the Internet highlights the dangers of such purchases,” according to a study in the Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, published by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Illicit drugs are often sold on the internet as “research chemicals. The authors described the case of two Oregon men who believed they had bought the designer amphetamine derivative 2C-E online,” but “the product they actually received was aniline, a highly toxic industrial chemical.”

The researchers concluded, “The incident illustrates the potentially life-threatening risks of buying so-called ‘research chemicals’ over the Internet.”

Carpe duh!

Enter your email to subscribe to Dr. Walt's blogs.

You have successfully subscribed to the newsletter

There was an error while trying to send your request. Please try again.

Dr. Walt Larimore will use the information you provide on this form to be in touch with you and to provide updates and marketing.