Here’s another update for you from Craig DeLisi about his unborn child Anastasha, who has been diagnosed with anencephaly, for which there is no cure or treatment. Craig is now letting us know of how many days she’s been alive, from the date of her conception. I hope you’ll join with me in keeping the DeLisis in your prayers. Here’s the latest:
Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego replied to the king, “O Nebuchadnezzar, we do not need to defend ourselves before you in this matter. If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to save us from it, and he will rescue us from your hand, O king. But even if he does not, we want you to know, O king, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up.” Daniel 3:16-18
I love this story from Scripture. You may remember that King Nebuchadnezzar had set up an idol to be worshiped by everyone in Babylon. Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego were faithful Jews, serving in his palace. Their faith and trust in Yahweh prevented them from worshiping a false God, even in the face of the penalty of death.
I’ve read this story to the kids many times, always as a story of great faith and how to stand up for righteousness even in dire situations. But when I read it this time, something else stood out about it to me.
When they told King Nebuchadnezzar that their God would rescue them, they quickly followed up with “But even if He does not, we … will not serve your gods”.
This is profound to me.
I really think that they truly believed that their God could rescue them from their danger and eminent death. But standing there next to the furnace, they also realized there was a really good chance that they wouldn’t be delivered and would perish in flames.
And they wanted the heathen king to know that even if they weren’t saved, their God was still good and true and worthy of all of their worship.
Beautiful faith … not presumption in what God was GOING to do, but what He COULD do.
We know the rest of the story, God the Son shows up in the fire, delivers them miraculously, and the king made a decree in Babylon that they or anyone else could worship the God of Israel.
We feel the same way.
Our “blazing furnace”, anencephaly, isn’t threatening our lives, but that of our daughter. And even though it doesn’t threaten to kill the rest of us, it does threaten to consume us. We believe deeply that God CAN heal and deliver us FROM this. But we also know that even if He doesn’t, He will deliver us THROUGH it.
Either way, we expect our Jesus to be walking with us in the flames.
But regardless of what He chooses, we trust that He is good and worthy of our praise and worship … NO MATTER WHAT.
On another note, we had a 4-D ultrasound last Friday.
Tonya’s parents got to meet their granddaughter via the computer. The whole thing was more emotional than I expected it to be.
We’ve seen Anastasha countless times on the ultrasound at my hospital after hours for fun, but something was different about going to a medical facility and doing it “officially”.
Everyone there knew about Anastasha’s condition and were wonderful. Tonya cried on my shoulder before laying down for the test. It was, as she described it to a friend, “beautiful and painful”. I agree.
It was beautiful to see her moving around, full of life. But it was painful to see in three dimensions the details of the malformation that will likely take her from us.
Please pray for us. We are going away for a little while. Tonya is about 30 weeks pregnant now and, like all her other pregnancies at this stage, is contracting regularly. I’d REALLY rather not deliver this little one myself, 2 months premature, in Alabama or Florida. Pray that her contractions would settle down please and that she would be more comfortable as she has been having some increased amounts of “normal” pain lately.
And pray that our faith and trust in the goodness and sovereignty of God would be increased in this situation. There are days when our faith seems smaller than a mustard seed.
Here’s the entire series of amazing stories:
- The Story of Anastasha – Part 1 (It will bless you!)
- The Amazing Story of Anastasha – Part 2
- The Amazing Story of Anastasha – Part 3
- The Amazing Story of Anastasha – Part 4
- The Amazing Story of Anastasha – Part 5
- The Amazing Story of Anastasha – Part 6
- The Amazing Story of Anastasha – Part 7
- The Amazing Story of Anastasha – Part 8
- The Amazing Story of Anastasha – Part 9
- The Blessing of Anastasha – Part 10 – Day of Life 200
- The Blessing of Anastasha – Part 11
- The Blessing of Anastasha – Part 12 – Day of Life 214
- The Blessing of Anastasha – Part 13 – Day of Life 221
- The Blessing of Anastasha – Part 14 – Day of Life 228
- The Blessing of Anastasha Kalil – Part 15 – Day of Life 235
- The Blessing of Anastasha Kalil – Part 16 – Day of Life 241
- The Blessing of Anastasha Kalil – Part 17 – Birth Day
- Anastasha is in Heaven – Part 18
- Anastasha’s Birth and Death – Video – Part 19
- Anastasha’s New Blog – Part 20
- Update on Anastasha – Part 21 – 1 month after birth and death
- Update On Anastasha’s Family – Part 22 – 3 months after birth and death