WebMD is reporting on the CDC’s latest diabetes statistics – and, the results are gruesome. Nearly 24 million people in the U.S. have diabetes — including almost 6 million who don’t know they’re diabetic — and at least 57 million have prediabetes.
Diabetes is the No. 7 cause of death among U.S. adults. Researchers reported last year that type 2 diabetes hastens heart disease and shortens lives by about eight years.
The figures show a steep rise in the number of people with diabetes. Why? First and foremost, overweight and obese people.
So, what can you do to protect your family from the obesity threat?
1) Pick up a copy of my book, SuperSized Kids: How to protect your child from the obesity threat.
2) Take the Family Fitness test at DrWalt.com (for free).
3) Consider trying (for free) my 8-Week Family Fitness Plan.
4) If you are an adult, ask your physician to include a fasting blood sugar at your next preventive medicine exam.
5) If your child or teen is overweight or obese, ask their doctor to check them with a two-hour glucose tolerance test (shown in children and teens to be much more diagnostic than a fasting blood sugar).