In this prayer letter:
- We’ll be on the national Focus on the Family broadcast on Friday, May 3
- My Job Situation
- Kate and Charles’ Wedding Plans
- Barb’s Mom
- Christy Book Awards
- Current Writing Projects
- Events of the last two months
- Events of the next two months
1) We’ll be on the national Focus on the Family broadcast on Friday, May 3
As we mention below, on March 21, Barb and I recorded a radio program based upon our book, His Brain, Her Brain: How divinely designed differences can strengthen your marriage, with Jim Daly and John Fuller at Focus on the Family. We’re expecting them to broadcast the show on Friday, May 3rd. On that date, you can find the broadcast here.
2) My Job Situation
In our last prayer letter, I mentioned that I’d begun doing some part-time occupational health and urgent care with Concentra Health Care in Denver and Colorado Springs. Although the drive to Denver can be long, I’m hoping to have more Colorado Springs work in the future.
Barb and I are continuing to volunteer at least a couple of times a month at Mission Medical Clinic in the Springs and I continue to pray that one day the Lord may be pleased to place me back among the amazing people who minister there.
3) Kate and Charles’ Wedding Plans
Kate and her fiancé, Charles Ritz, are moving along in their plans to be married on Sunday, June 9th. Prayers for all of us while we’re on this journey would be appreciated.
1) Barb’s Mom
Thanks for continuing to keep Barb’s mom, Pud, in your prayers. As we write this, we’re in Baton Rouge caring for her and she’s had a pretty good we. She seems to be stable for now. Barb is continuing to plan to be here at least one week a month to care for her mom and to be with her during this difficult journey. And, if needed, Barb will move in with her mom there in Baton Rouge. Barb and I (and, I’m sure, Pud) would continue to cherish your consistent and persistent prayers.
2) Christy Book Awards
As we mentioned in our December prayer letter, the two novels of Walt’s that were published in 2012, Hazel Creek and its sequel, Sugar Fork, have been nominated to receive a total of three Christy Awards, which should be announced this next month. So, I was wondering if you’d join me in praying that the Lord might be pleased to allow one or both might be chosen for this prestigious recognition.
3) Current Writing Projects
I’d be blessed if you’d pray for me as I work on two writing projects this next two months:
- The first is an updated and revised version of The Saline Solution, which is a teaching tool I co-authored with pastor and theologian William Carr Peel, ThM, that teaches healthcare professionals how to bring their faith to work each day. The new course is tentatively titled Grace Prescriptions: Becoming a Spiritual Influence in Healthcare. We presented the first trial conference of this new course in February and it was well received. Now we’ll be adapting the course to present at least twice more this year before “going public” with the new course.
- The second is a book for girls heading into and through puberty—and their moms—The Ultimate Girls’ Body Book: Not-So-Silly Questions About Your Body that I’m writing with Amaryllis Sanchez-Wohlever, MD, a dear friend and former practice colleague at Heritage Family Physicians in Kissimmee, FL. This is a sequel to my book The Ultimate Guys’ Body Book: Not-so-stupid questions about your body that was released in March 2012. We’ll be doing the line edits on the manuscript during April and May.
EVENTS OF THE LAST TWO MONTHS
- Feb 23, I taught a preview of my Grace Prescriptions material at the Navigator’s Physicians’ Discipleship Conference at the Glen Eyrie Castle and Conference Center in Colorado Springs. It was very well received, which was quite an encouragement for me.
- Mar 4-8, I was in Tulsa, OK, serving as a visiting professor at the In His Image Family Medicine Residency. I’m always so blessed to be with these wonderful Christian faculty, staff, and family medicine residents.
- Mar 6-15, Barb was in Baton Rouge caring for her mom.
- Mar 12-14, I flew to in Atlanta for a meeting for the Center of Excellence for Sexual Health at the Morehouse School of Medicine. I also had a wonderful visit with my son and daughter-in-love, Scott and Jen, and their beautiful girls.
- Mar 21, Barb and I recorded a radio program based upon our book, His Brain, Her Brain: How divinely designed differences can strengthen your marriage, with Jim Daly and John Fuller at Focus on the Family. We’re expecting them to broadcast the show on Friday, May 3rd. On that date, you can find the broadcast here.
- Apr 3, we attended a delightful dinner with the Focus on the Family’s Physicians Resource Council and enjoyed catching up with a number of dear friends.
- Apr 10-17 (currently), we’re both in Louisiana visiting with Barb’s mom and family. We took some time last Friday to attend the French Quarter Festival and had a great day of music and food. Especially since Barb’s mom was able to come and we ran into a number of dear friends. Delightful!
EVENTS OF THE NEXT TWO MONTHS:
- Apr 15-17, we’ll both be in Baton visiting with Barb’s mom and family.
- Apr 20, I’ll be teaching at the Annual Scientific Assembly of the Colorado Academy of Family Physicians in Colorado Springs.
- Apr 24-28, we’ll be in Chicago, where I’ll be attending an AMA RUC meeting.
- May 7-8, I’ll fly to Washington, DC, for a meeting for the Center of Excellence for Sexual Health.
- May 9-10, I’ll attend the International Board Meeting of HCJB Global in Colorado Springs.
- May 15, I’ll attend the Board Meeting of Life Network in Colorado Springs.
- May 16-17, we’ll fly to Atlanta to visit with Scott, Jen, and the girls.
- May 17-19, we’ll be in Flat Rock, North Carolina, for the Blue Ridge Book Festival, where I’ll be a presenter. If you live in or near western North Carolina, we’d love to see you there.
- May 19-21, we’ll be back in Atlanta with the grans.
- May 27-28, I’ll be in Washington, DC, again, but this time teaching for the Annual Scientific Assembly of the American Academy of Physician Assistants.
- Jun 9, our daughter Kate, will be married to Charles Ritz, in Palmer Lake, Colorado.
Monthly Family Newsletter
Barb and I are SO grateful for your prayer support for our ministry and for us. We simply could not do this without the precious gift of your prayers and friendship.