Here are the contents of this month’s Family Newsletter:
- Family Update
- Publication Updates
- Hazel Creek news
- News about The Ultimate Guys’ Body Book
- I hope you’ll sign up for my new on-line devotional
- Appalachian History Weekend (June 1-3)
- Several of My Books Are On Sale
- Events of the Last Month
- Upcoming Events
What a privilege I had to have two books release in a single month—March! What I couldn’t tell you in my last newsletter is this: one of them (Hazel Creek) was dedicated to Kate, and the second (The Ultimate Guys’ Body Book: Not-So-Stupid Questions About Your Body) was dedicated to Scott.
Kate’s dedication says, “To Kate. Love You More.” For Scott, I wrote, “To Scott. I’ve always been grateful to be your dad. I always will be. The father of a righteous man has great joy; he who has a wise son delights in him (Proverbs 23:24).
One of my and Barb’s most wonderful privileges has been to be the parents, the recipient of God’s gifts, of Kate and Scott. To now be both friends with them, and brother and sister in Christ with them, is an amazing thing for us.
As a daddy, I loved being able to do this to honor and lift each of them up.
1) Hazel Creek news
Wow, the response to my first solo novel, Hazel Creek, has exceeded my expectations. On Amazon.com, over twenty readers have reviewed the book, and all have given it 5-stars! That’s never happened to me before. You can read the reviews here.
One professional reviewer wrote:
If you love books like the Little House on the Prairie books, then I know this one will find a special place in your heart as well. I rate this one a perfect 5 out of 5 stars!
This same reviewer also did something very unique. She posted a “character interview” with Hazel Creek’s main character, Abbie Randolph. You can read that interview here.
Last, but not least, if you’d like to order an autographed copy for yourself, family members, or friends, you can do that here.
2) News about The Ultimate Guys’ Body Book: Not-So-Stupid Questions About Your Body
This book is written for boys heading into, or already in puberty, and also for their parents … particularly their dads.
- You can read about the book and see some of its endorsements here.
- You can purchase autographed copies here.
- You can also order the book from Amazon, B&N, or CBD.
One of my favorite initial reviews of the book said:
I wish The Ultimate Guy’s Body Book was available when I was growing up. I wish I could have given it to my sons. But now, I will be sure my grandsons gain from its wisdom.
Gene Rudd, MD, Senior Vice President, Christian Medical & Dental Associations
3) I hope you’ll sign up for my new on-line devotional
I’ve begun a free on-line devotional. It’s called Morning Glory, Evening Grace, which is released twice a day—once in the morning and again in the evening.
4) Appalachian History Weekend (June 1-3)
For those of you within an easy drive of western North Carolina, Barb and I will be participating in this wonderful weekend at the Fontana Village Resort. Here’s the ad:
Did you know that the construction of Fontana Dam was a vital World War II effort? Did you know that hundreds of families sacrificed their homes and lifestyles for the construction of Fontana Dam?
Learn more about the authentic history of these Appalachian people from authors and storytellers and by visiting the remains of the century old logging town of Proctor.
This full weekend includes a boat tour of Fontana Lake; Gary Carden’s one woman play “Birdell”; an evening with Walt Larimore, MD, author of “Hazel Creek”; a walking history tour of Fontana Village; book signing opportunities with authors of regional history; music and more.
Great lodging package for a 3-day weekend.
Several of My Books Are Now On Sale
A number of my autographed books are on sale at my online bookstore. What better gift to give to a friend than a personalized and autographed book?
You can find those that are on sale here. Be sure to click on “books” to see them all.
Events of the last month
- Apr 11-17, Kate, Barb, and I visited with Barb’s mom (Pud) in Baton Rouge.
- April 25-28, Barb and I enjoyed a fun time in Chicago where I attended a meeting of the AMA’s RBRVS Update Commission (RUC) and Barb practiced her spiritual gift of shopping.
- Apr 30 – May 7, I’ll be attending an HCJB Global International Board Meeting in Accra, Ghana.
- May 8-13, I’ll be serving on a medical missions trip to Cape Town, South Africa and working with the outreach of the King of Kings Baptist Church and Pastor John Thomas as they serve AIDS patients through their Living Hope Ministry.
- May 16, I’ll be attending a Life Network Board Meeting.
- May 23-24, I’ll be attending a meeting at the headquarters of the Christian Medical and Dental Associations in Bristol, TN.
- May 25, I’ll take a fly fishing day with my dear friends Bill Peel, David Stevens, and Gene Rudd.
- May 26-27, I’ll fly to Toronto, Canada, to visit with old friends and speak at the Annual Scientific Assembly of the American Academy of Physician Assistants.
- May 31 – June 3, Barb and I will be at the Fontana Village Resort in far western North Carolina for a Proctor Revival event and to do a book signing of my first solo novel, Hazel Creek. You can read more about the “Appalachian History Weekend” here or here.
- June 16-24, Barb and I will be teaching a “His Brain, Her Brain” marriage conference at the Deer Valley Ranch near Buena Vista, Colorado.
- June 27 – July 1, Barb and I will attend the annual retreat, graduation, and ordination of the In His Image Family Medicine Residency Program at the Western Hills Guest Ranch in Oklahoma.
You can get more information on many of my upcoming events here.