After so many recent blogs with negative news about your health risks, I thought you’d enjoy a positive one … chocolate reduces stroke risk!Reuters reports that, according to a study published in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology, chocolate consumption may be linked to a reduced risk of stroke.
HealthDay reports, “The study included more than 33,000 Swedish women between the ages of 49 and 83. None of the women had any history of stroke, heart disease, cancer or diabetes when the study began in 1997.”
Scientists speculate that substances known as flavonoids, in particular so-called flavanois, may be responsible for chocolate’s apparent impact on health.
As I’ve told you in previous blogs, chocolate should preferably be consumed as dark chocolate, as it contains more of the beneficial flavonoids, as well as less sugar.
One of the researchers said, “There’s an upside and a downside to everything. I don’t think people should eat all the chocolate they can, but some chocolate in moderation can have some benefit.”
She added that it’s important to remember that chocolate has a lot of sugar and fat, and it also contains caffeine. So, if you’re prone to irregular heartbeats or high blood pressure, eating chocolate may affect those conditions.
Here are some of my blogs about chocolate from over the last year or so. Enjoy! Literally!!
- Can cocoa products reduce blood pressure or heart disease?
- Chocolate may reduce heart disease, stroke risk
- Chocolate: The Love Drug . . . And Why It’s Good for You – Monday, 14 February 2011
- Is Chocolate the Next Super Food? – Monday, 14 February 2011
- New Year’s Resolution – Have a bite of dark chocolate daily – Friday, 31 December 2010
- Halloween Chocolate a Serious Threat to Pets – Friday, 29 October 2010
- Too much chocolate may be connected to depression – Tuesday, 1 June 2010
- Largest Study to Date Links Chocolate to Lower Blood Pressure and Cardiovascular Risk – Friday, 2 April 2010
- How to Make Chocolate a Healthy Indulgence – Friday, 2 April 2010
- Dark chocolate Easter eggs good for your heart? – Tuesday, 30 March 2010
- Superfoods for Women – Monday, 29 March 2010
- Consuming one serving of chocolate every week may reduce stroke risk – Saturday, 13 February 2010
- Seven Foods for Better Sex – Saturday, 13 February 2010
- Dark chocolate may lower stress hormone levels – Monday, 16 November 2009