Here are the contents of this month’s newsletter:
- More great endorsements for “The Best Medicine”
- Last chance to read an early copy of “The Best Medicine”
- Today’s Christian Living “Ask Dr. Walt” column
- My still-unpublished WWII book has been nominated for an international award
- Barb and I are in a COVID Vaccine Study
- Answers to last month’s prayers
- Prayer requests for this month
- Past Issues
1) More Great Endorsements for “The Best Medicine”
On October 6, 2020, my first book about my practice days in Kissimmee (1985-2001), “The Best Medicine: Tales of Humor and Hope from a Small-Town Doctor,” will be released. Some nice endorsements are coming in. I thought you might enjoy seeing a few:
Once again, Dr. Larimore has provided a delightful book full of sound wisdom and fascinating characters. Enjoy a great read!
Ruth Graham, Daughter of Billy Graham and Bestselling author of Forgiving My Father, Forgiving Myself, An Invitation to the Miracle of Forgiveness
Warm, inviting, and nostalgic. Dr. Walt Larimore brings to life a rich cast of characters and their central Florida home in his tale of finding a fresh start and true healing.
Liz Johnson, Bestselling author of The Red Door Inn
Hope and humor show up in unexpected places, as Dr. Walt Larimore’s unique memoir shows. With grace and the astute heart of a physician intimately engaged with not only his patients but also his town, Larimore offers an extraordinary glimpse into the heart and soul of how healing happens and hope can be found in the midst of unlikely circumstances. As a tenured nurse, I can attest to the difficult truth that not all cases end well, and Larimore does not shy away from the hard. But Larimore balances these stories with the truth that all things work for good when the Lord is in the midst. Highly recommend, not for health professionals, but for anyone seeking assurance of good and grace, even in uncertain and tremulous times.
Amy K. Sorrells, BSN, RN, Author of Before I Saw You and other novels.
I’m so astonished and grateful for these endorsements and kind words. You can pre-order “Best Medicine” here.
2) Last Chance to Help Launch “The Best Medicine”
If you’d like to read a pre-release electronic copy of “The Best Medicine” and then write a short review to post on 3-4 book review Web sites, you can be part of my “Launch Team” by filling out an application by click here. You will have to pre-order the book to be on the team, but there are some pretty cool prizes and benefits!
The deadline to complete and submit the online application is midnight CST on Sept 6, 2020. No applications can be accepted after the deadline.
Once you complete the on-line application form, watch for an email from me on Sept 8, 2020, with info about what to do next including how to get your electronic copy of the book! This is going to be fun!
3) Today’s Christian Living “Ask Dr. Walt” column
I enjoy being able to answer questions from the readers of Today’s Christian Living magazine in my “Ask Dr. Walt” column. Here a potentially life-saving Q&A from the September 2020 issue. I hope you’ll consider getting a subscription:
- Tips to Prevent a Killer or To Lower Your Risk of Colorectal Cancer.
- My husband and I both just turned 40. We each have parents who came down with colon cancer in their 50s. Is there anything we can do to prevent this type of cancer?
- —Worried about Cancer in Washington
4) My Still-Unpublished WWII Book Nominated for an International Award
Long-time friends and readers know of my work over the last 15 years or so or turning my father’s WWII exploits into a published book. So many of you have been such an encouragement to me as it has been turned down by several publishers (although, bulletin, bulletin, one is now considering offering me a contract for the book).
Anyway, the great news is that the unpublished manuscript (War Horses: A World War II Hero’s Stories of Savagery, Stallions, and Saving the Lipizzaners) has been named a “Page Turner Award Finalist.”
Here’s more information about The Page Turner Awards:
The Page Turner Awards aims to help writers and authors to get discovered with possible literary agency representation and potentially taking a published book from page to film.
The awards were created to change writing careers with success stories from the most impressive first 10 pages submitted. The prestigious judging panel, made up of successful award-winning authors, literary agents, and publishers, is looking for vivid, cinematic writing with captivating characters and unique voices.
The Page Turner Writing Award offers writers and authors the chance to enter the first 10 pages of a completed, unpublished fiction or non-fiction manuscript, where a literary agent will read the work with a chance to get it published.
So, prayers appreciated not that “my” story would be recognized, but that “my amazing Dad” and the story of his bravery and exploits would finally see the light of day!
5) Barb and I are in a COVID-19 Vaccine Study
As we told you last month, Barb and I were chosen to participate in a COVID-19 Vaccine study and we readily volunteered. We received our first injection on Tuesday, August 4, and had no side effects whatsoever. We’ll get the second injection today. It’s a Phase III trial of the Moderna vaccine being developed in conjunction with the NIH. About 30,000 volunteers are in the trial. Half of us get the placebo and half of us get the vaccine. We’re praying for the latter! We’ll plan to get antibody tests in mid to late October and that should be a good indicator of whether we received the vaccine or the placebo.
6) Answers to Last Month’s Prayers
- Barb and I began this semester’s Re-Engage at Academy Christian Church on Wednesday, August 12. So far we’re off to a fruitful start both with our large-group teaching sessions, our new small-group leaders, and our small-group of six couples. We so appreciate you all’s prayers for these marriages each Wednesday.
- In August, I did not complete writing and editing the second Kissimmee book, “The Best Gift,” which is scheduled for release in October 2021. But I should have it done by the end of the month when it’s due to the publisher.
- I’m still waiting to review a “we-promise-it’s-coming” contract proposal from a publisher for the book about my Dad’s WWII exploits (War Horses: A World War II Hero’s Stories of Savagery, Stallions, and Saving the Lipizzaners). See the note above about the “Page Turner Award” nomination. In the meantime, thanks for praying as I’ve begun to work with an editor to help me improve the manuscript. We’ve just started to work together, and I love what he’s done so far!
7) Prayer Requests for Upcoming Events
- Continued prayers for our Re-Engage “Marriage Enrichment” classes.
- Continued prayers for the launch of “The Best Medicine” on October 6.
- Continued prayers for the WWII book, “War Horses”: for the ongoing revisions, the arrival or a “promised” contract with a publisher, and favor both with the Page Turner Award judges and the two movie producers looking it over.
- Prayers as I receive back the suggested edits for a book that will be released in April 2021: “The Natural Medicine Handbook: The Truth about the Most Effective Herbs, Vitamins, and Supplements for Common Conditions.” I’ll be working on this manuscript for most of October.
8) Past Issues of our family newsletter
- Hate is too great a burden to bear: My Past as a Racist
- More Nice Endorsements for “The Best Medicine”
- Want to Read “Best Medicine” before everyone else?
- Vaccine Study
- More Great Endorsements for “The Best Medicine”
- 2020 Walk for Life
- Today’s Christian Living “Ask Dr. Walt” column
- Another Amazing Blessing I Received
- 5 MILLION WORDS!?!?
- Some Good News About My Dad’s Book: “War Horses”
- Second Great Endorsement for “The Best Medicine”
- 2020 Walk for Life
- What a Blessing I Received
- A Publishing Milestone – my 1000th Publication