In this prayer letter:
- PRAYER REQUESTS
- 1) Writing Projects
- PRAISES AND ANSWERS TO PRAYERS
- 1) Girls’ Book Featured by Sam’s Club
- 2) Scott’s New Assignment
- 3) The Land In-Between
- EVENTS OF THE LAST TWO MONTHS
- EVENTS OF THE NEXT TWO MONTHS
- RECENT PUBLICATIONS AND INTERVIEWS
- 1) Girl’s Book Featured on Focus on the Family Canada
- 2) “Finding True Health” and “Health and Happiness in the Bible”
- 3) New “Larimore” tour of Bryson City
- 4) Vaccine News
1) Writing Projects
Thanks to so many of you for continuing to pray for several of my writing projects:
- As I told you last time, I was shopping a new book, tentatively titled Straight Talk about Your Health and Fitness: A complete guide to building your personal plan for the long run.I’m working on the proposal with Philip Bishop, EdD, a long-time friend and professor of exercise science at the University of Alabama. Unfortunately, we’ve not received an acceptable offer from any publisher. We’re praying about the next step. Perhaps we’ll self-publish?
- I’m working with my dear friend, Bill Peel, ThM, to produce the second edition of Workplace Grace: Becoming a spiritual influence at work. The first edition was a Christianity Today Book of the Year. We look like we’re going to re-publish the book with Letourneau University and are hoping it will be released this fall.
- I’m continuing to work with the Christian Medical and Dental Associations (CMDA) on the release of Grace Prescriptions, a course designed to teach health professionals how to ethically and effectively bring their Christian faith to work in the healthcare environments into which they are called. This conference, video small-group curriculum, and Internet-based curriculum should be ready for release later this summer or in the early fall.
- I’ve been asked to be one of a few authors to co-write a column for U.S. News and World Report. The column is tentatively to be called “Faith Matters.” I’ve submitted my first column and am waiting to hear if it will be accepted, and if so, when it might be published.
PRAISES AND ANSWERS TO PRAYERS:
1) Girls’ Book Featured by Sam’s Club
I’m was so excited to find out that my newest book, The Ultimate Girls’ Body Book: Not-so-silly questions about your body, is now available in a special hard-cover edition at Sam’s Clubs across America. The book will be offered as “an exclusive product” for the next three-months as a special back-to-school product.
2) Scott’s New Assignment
My and Barb’s youngest has, for the last 6 years, been an amazing stay-at-home dad while his beloved, Jennifer, finished her PhD and began teaching at Agnes Scott College in Decatur, GA. Now that the girls are both in school, he and Jennifer have been praying about what the next season in his life might be. And, the answer to prayer is pretty neat. Here it is from the Agnes Scott College E-Newsletter:
Scott Larimore will join us on Monday, July 14 as our new special events coordinator. … His primary duties will be wedding sales and operations, including client relationships. Scott comes to us with extensive experience in the events planning industry. … We are excited to have … Scott on our team. Please join me in welcoming (him).
3) The Land In-Between
We were unable to reveal this to you in the past, but over the last few months, Barb and I had the exciting prospect of a new season in our lives. We had been approached by an extremely well known Christian ministry about throwing our hat into the ring of consideration as their next CEO. After much prayer and consideration, as well as discussions with a few dear friends who are CEOs of major ministries, we chose to seek the position.
To sum up what happened, and our response to it, our dear friend, Wayne Pederson, wrote this in a weekly devotional he writes on leadership:
A close friend was being considered for president of an international ministry. He and his wife were excited about the potential. All signs pointed in a positive direction. And they had begun to dream about new approaches for this ministry.
One day the memo came. The field had narrowed and they were no longer being considered.
They were obviously terribly disappointed. In a note to me, he said:
“We are believing God is at the center of this. We continue in ‘our meantime,’ awaiting our next assignment, with great expectation for what He has for us.”
The measure of a mature leader is how he handles disappointments when things don’t go his or her way. That “Land In-Between” takes more faith than the challenges of involvement.
God told Jeremiah: “I know the plans I have for you, plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans to give you a hope and a future.”
It’s true, even when we’re called on to wait.
We’re thankful to Wayne for his love, support, and kind words.
EVENTS OF THE LAST TWO MONTHS
- Jun 19, I had hernia surgery and so appreciate you prayers. The surgery went well and I’m recovering wonderfully.
- Jun 26-29, Barb and I were at the In His Image Family Medicine Residency graduation. We’re always blessed by my wonderful interactions with these marvelous young residents.
- Jul 3, I had major dental surgery and again appreciate you prayers. Recovering is going better than I expected and I’m gratful.
- Jul 22-28, Barb and I took a wonderful camping road trip up into Wyoming and South Dakota. We so enjoyed visiting to the Cheyenne Frontier Days, Mt. Rushmore, the Crazy Horse monument, Custer State Park, Wall Drugs, as well as seeing the sites in the Badlands.
- Jul 30-Aug 3, Barb and I were in Kansas City, where I taught several times (and Barb and I taught a “His Brain, Her Brain” session) at the Christian Ophthalmology Society meeting. We enjoyed the meeting and the fellowship along with meeting many new friends. We also enjoyed some wonderful times with several dear old friends.
- Aug 5, I was in studio with Dr. Meg Meeker recording a program for Dr. James Dobson’s national radio program, Family Talk, on my book, The Ultimate Girls’ Body Book: Not-so-silly questions about your body.
- Aug 6-7, Sep 16-17, Barb and I were in Denver to attend two Chicago Cubs games at Coor’s Field. Our good friend, Chris Coghlan, plays left field for the Cubs. Chris has a great testimony of his spiritual faith at the I Am Second Web site. We so enjoyed our time with Chris and his wife, our long-time and dear friend Corrie Adamson. Those of you who have read my Hazel Creek and Sugar Fork novels may be interested in knowing that the character in these books, Corrie Hannah Randolph, is modeled after the real-life Corrie Hannah Adamson Coghlan.
- Aug 11-15, I served as a visiting professor at the In His Image Family Medicine Residency in Tulsa, OK. I’m always blessed by my wonderful interactions with these marvelous young residents and their amazing faculty.
EVENTS OF THE NEXT TWO MONTHS
- Sep 7-9, I’ll be serving as a visiting professor at the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center delivering the 27th Annual A. Kurt Weiss Lecture in Biomedical Ethics on the topic of “The Place of a Spiritual History in Patient Assessment.” The Monday lecture will be at their Tulsa campus and the Tuesday lecture at their Oklahoma City campus.
- Sep 12-14, I’ll be at the Calvary Church in Naperville, IL, teaching a “Grace Prescriptions Conference” to healthcare professionals.
- Sep 16-17, Barb and I will be in Chicago to attend two Chicago Cubs games at Wrigley Stadium. Our good friend, Chris Coghlan, plays left field for the Cubs. Chris has a great testimony of his spiritual faith at the I Am Second Web site. We’re looking forward to time with Chris and his wife, our long-time and dear friend Corrie Adamson. Those of you who have read my Hazel Creek and Sugar Fork novels may be interested in knowing that the character in these books, Corrie Hannah Randolph, is modeled after the real-life Corrie Hannah Adamson Coghlan.
- Sep 18-21, I’ll be attending an AMA RUC meeting in Chicago.
- Sep 25-26, I’ll be attending the Reach Beyond Global Board Meeting in Colorado Springs.
- Sep 29-Oct 2, Barb and I will continue our year-long celebration of our 40th wedding anniversary with a few days at the Broadmoor’s Ranch at Emerald Valley in Colorado.
- Oct 8-12, we’ll be visiting one of our favorite cities, New Orleans, as I’m attending an AMA CPT Editorial Panel meeting.
- Oct 12-17, we’ll drive from Louisiana to Florida to vacation at the beautiful Henderson Park Inn B&B on Destin Beach. This will be the final stop of a wonderful series of trips we took this year celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary.
- Oct 19-23, I will be serving again as a visiting professor at the In His Image Family Medicine Residency in Tulsa, OK. I’m always blessed by my wonderful interactions with these marvelous young residents.
- Oct 23-25, I’ll be joining my dear friend, and co-author, William Carr Peel, ThM, at the Faith @ Work Summit in Boston, MA.
RECENT PUBLICATIONS AND INTERVIEWS:
1) Girl’s Book Featured on Focus on the Family Canada
Focus on the Family Canada just released an interview I did with Jim Daly and John Fuller for the daily Focus on the Family radio program. It’s titled “What you need to know about talking to your daughter about puberty.” You can listen to the interview here.
The interview is based upon my book, The Ultimate Girls’ Body Book: Not-so-silly questions about your body. You can read reviews of the book here and you can order signed copies here.
2) “Finding True Health” and “Health and Happiness in the Bible”
Many of you know I write a column (Ask Dr. Walt) for Today’s Christian Living(formerly Significant Living Magazine). Their September edition is all about health, and my article is entitled, “Finding True Health.” The sidebar is “Health and Happiness in the Bible.” If you enjoy the articles, I hope you’ll consider signing up for a subscription.
3) New “Larimore” tour of Bryson City
I’ve recently learned that the Chamber of Commerce in Bryson City has had so many people come by wanting a map of the various places mentioned in each of the books, that they developed a brochure called, “The Larimore Tour of Bryson City.” I thought you might enjoy seeing it and you can find it here.
4) Vaccine News
My friend, Reg Finger, MD, MPH, and I published “Update on the Immunization Schedules and What Flu Vaccines to Order” for CAFP News (3rd Quarter, Summer 2014(40):32-34).
- Past Issues of our family newsletter can be read here: August 2014 and July 2014.
- The last issue of our family prayer letter can be read here: June 15 – August 14.
- You can get also more information on many of our upcoming events here.
- A Final Thank You!!! Barb and I are SO grateful for your prayer support for our ministry and for us. We simply could not do this without the precious gift of your prayers and friendship.