In this prayer letter:
- PRAYER REQUEST: (1) Walk for Life; and (2) Possible Writing Project
- EVENTS OF THE LAST TWO MONTHS and EVENTS OF THE NEXT TWO MONTHS
- PRAISES AND ANSWERS TO PRAYERS: Morning Glory, Evening Grace Devotional
- PUBLICATIONS: (1) Health tips for international travel; (2) When Children Die Because They’re Overweight; and (3) The abortifacient effect of the pill
- THE ULTIMATE GIRLS’ BODY BOOK: (1) Great reviews!; (2) Interviewed on “Chris Fabry Live”; (3) Interviewed on “Connecting Faith”; Featured on “iMOM”: (5) Interviewed on “Legacy Out Loud.”
1) Walk for Life
2) Possible Writing Project
I’d be blessed if you’d continue to pray for this potential writing project: I’ve developed a proposal for a new book, tentatively titled Straight Talk about Your Health and Fitness: A complete guide to building your personal plan for the long run. I’m working on the proposal with Philip Bishop, EdD, a long-time friend and professor of exercise science at the University of Alabama. The proposal is currently being considered by a major publisher.
EVENTS OF THE LAST TWO MONTHS
- Feb 18-27, Barb and I had the joy of spending vacation time with both of our children, their spouses, and our two granddaughters at Disney World. We also took time to meet with dear old friends in Kissimmee where we lived for 16 years. We try to all take a family vacation together each year and it is always a blessed time for us.
- Mar 6, I presented Grand Rounds at the Penrose Community Hospital in Colorado Springs on the topic of “Update in Vitamin D and Calcium Supplementation.” The presentation seemed well received.
- Mar 10-14, I served as a visiting professor at the In His Image Family Medicine Residency in Tulsa, OK. I’m always blessed by my wonderful interactions with these marvelous young residents. The students, residents, faculty, and staff always make my visits such a pleasure.
- Mar 20, I was in the Focus on the Family studio in Colorado Springs with my friends Jim Daly and John Fuller taping a program about my book, The Ultimate Girls’ Body Book. The interview went well and will probably be broadcast in July. I’ll let you know when in a future prayer letter.
- Mar 21-24, Barb and I were back in the Atlanta area to visit with the “Decatur Larimores,” while I attend a one-day medical meeting. We’re always looking for opportunities to get to the Atlanta area and see the kids and grans.
- Mar 25, I was interviewed by Neil Stavem on his “Connecting Faith” radio program and Carrie Abbot on her radio program, “Legacy Out Loud.” Details on listening to each can be found below.
- Apr 9-15, Barb and I went to New Orleans, LA, to attend The French Quarter Festival. This was our third year to return to the festival and we enjoyed visiting with family and good friends, as well as some great food and wonderful music.
EVENTS OF THE NEXT TWO MONTHS
- Apr 22-27, Barb and I will be in Chicago where I will be attending an AMA RUC meeting. This is one of three meetings the group has each year. We always enjoy our time in downtown Chicago. Pray that I might be salt and light to colleagues.
- May 1, I’ll be having a book signing at the Covered Treasures Book Store in Monument, CO, from 5-7 PM.
- May 7-9, I’ll be attending the International Board Meeting of the Reach Beyond Ministry (formerly known as HCJB). This will be our first meeting with Reach Beyond president Wayne Pederson since he lost his precious wife, Norma, to ovarian cancer earlier this month. During the Board meeting, we’ll be having a memorial service at Woodman Chapel for Norma.
- May 10-11, I’ll be attending a Board Retreat for the Life Network ministry. I appreciate your prayer cover while I’m in these meetings.
- May 17, Barb and I will be at a book signing at the Focus on the Family Bookstore in Colorado Springs from 10 AM to noon.
- May 24-27, I will fly to Boston to visit with some dear friends. I’ll also spend one day teaching at the Annual Scientific Assembly of the American Academy of Physician Assistants.
- Jun 9-15, Barb and I will be taking a vacation road trip through the Rocky Mountains. We’ll be visiting Estes Park, the Rocky Mountain National Park, Grand Lake, Vail, Glenwood Springs, the Maroon Bells, and Aspen. We’re looking forward to have the time together.
PRAISES AND ANSWERS TO PRAYERS:
1) Morning Glory, Evening Grace
In the past I’d asked you to join me in praying about my twice-a-day Biblical devotions, Morning Glory, Evening Grace. You can see those that are published and sign up to receive them via email here. Anyway, a publisher had indicated an interest in making them into a book and that would have delighted me to know end. I had asked you to join me in praying about this possibility; however, the publisher’s answer was, “no.” The publisher wrote:
We received your proposal for God Calling or Morning Glory, Evening Grace. Our Gift Division publishes the devotionals and devotional type readings. We feel there is unfortunately too much competition with your proposed book. We already publish a book of scripture written in devotional form. So although we must pass on this idea, thank you for sending the proposal our way.
PUBLICATIONS AND INTERVIEWS:
1) Health tips for international travel
Long-time readers know that I have a bi-monthly column in the Significant Living Magazine. My article for the April-May issue is on “Health Tips for International Travel.” The article also has a side bar on “Preventing Travelers Diarrhea.” You can read the article here. If you like the digital version, let me encourage you to sign up for a subscription.
2) When Children Die Because They’re Overweight
I have an article in the January issue of Charisma Magazine entitled, “When Children Die Because They’re Overweight.” You can read the article here. The abstract to the article says, “To develop good health and nutrition practices, children and young people need responsible adult examples.” I hope the article will be helpful to you and your family.
3) The abortifacient effect of the birth control pill
When one is led to write, and has the privilege of being published, one is not usually aware of the breadth and depth of impact one can have. Recently I became aware of an article in the Celebrate Life Magazine titled “A Pharmacist’s Journey to the Truth,” in which my writing and research played a role.
The abstract of the article says:
Devastated after learning that hormonal contraceptives can end the lives of already-conceived babies, pharmacist Michael Kelly had an agonizing, life-changing decision to make. On his knees, he cried out to God, “What should I do, Lord?” God answered. And Michael had a faith so strong that he did as God asked. He walked away from his lucrative, decades-long career as a pharmacist, even though it was his only significant means of support.
The part of the article that gave me much gratitude and pleasure was this:
Michael (began) to embark on his own studies to better understand how oral contraceptives work. One evening, after questions about contraception began arising in his mind, he checked every oral contraceptive in the pharmacy, took out the package inserts, and began reading. He found that every single one had postfertilization effects listed. Michael then started digging deeper to learn all he could about the subject. The research was tedious. “It was really hard to find information about the postfertilization effects,” he said. Most of the material he found on the Internet praised contraceptives …
Michael recalled, “One of the first things that made me sit up and take notice was a document from Dr. Walter Larimore, ‘Postfertilization Effects of Oral Contraceptives and Their Relationship to Informed Consent.’”
Dr. Larimore’s research—originally undertaken to prove that postfertilization effects cannot cause unknown loss of already-conceived preborn babies—resulted in diametrically opposite findings, and ultimately led to Dr. Larimore’s decision to cease prescribing the pill for his patients.
“I discovered so much evidence about postfertilization effects in reading that document [that] there was now no question in my mind that they play a role,” Michael said. “I was shocked … and I thought, ‘What does this mean to my faith? How much of my entire career was about aborting who knows how many babies?’”
Oh, that more who prescribe or take oral birth control pills would evaluate the evidence for themselves. It’s not an easy subject to study by any means, but terribly important. You can read the entire article here.
In addition, here are some of my blogs on the topic:
- Is the birth control pill an abortifacient?
- More Evidence That the BCP Causes Unrecognized Abortions
- Did you know the birth control pill can cause abortions?
- American Society of Reproductive Medicine Statement Confirms the Pill Causes Abortion
- Some Pharmacies Believe Birth Control Pills Cause Unrecognized Abortions
- Professor Says Women Use Birth Control Pill Wrong, Resulting in Abortions
- Natural Family Planning Method As Effective As Contraceptive Pill According to New Research
- Dr. Walt in an Online Documentary Revealing Abortifacient Effects of the Pill
- New documentary features Dr. Walt and exposes abortifacient qualities of the birth control pill
THE ULTIMATE GIRLS’ BODY BOOK:
1) The Ultimate Girls’ Body Book is getting great reviews!
The Ultimate Girls’ Body Book: Not-so-silly questions about your body was released on Friday, January 24th, and is getting great reviews on the various Internet bookstore websites. If you know a young lady heading toward or through puberty, I hope you’ll consider getting a copy for her and her family! Signed copies are available here in the next few days. Also, you can also order discounted copies and read reviews at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, or CBD.
2) Listen to my interview about the Girls’ book on Chris Fabry Live
I was honored to be interviewed by my friend, Chris Fabry, on his national radio program, “Chris Fabry Live.” We talked about “Girls’ Body Image” and my newest book, co-written with Mari Sanchez Wohlever, “The Ultimate Girls’ Body Book: Not-so-silly questions about your body.”
As Chris said, in his promo for the show, “Do you have a teenage girl in your home? Dr. Walt Larimore joins us to talk about girls, body image, and the wild changes going on hormonally.” It was a fun show. You can listen to the interview here. And, you can order signed copies of the book here.
3) Listen to my interview about the Girls’ book on the “Connecting Faith” radio program
I was interviewed by Neil Stavem on his nationally-syndicated radio show, “Connecting Faith,” about my newest book, “The Ultimate Girls’ Body Book: Not-so-silly questions about your body.” You can listen to the interview here. Below is information on the interview from the Connecting Faith website.
Physician and author Dr. Walt Larimore has just released his latest helpful resource called The Ultimate Girls’ Body Book, coming after last year’s release of The Ultimate Guys’ Body Book. We talk with Dr. Larimore about the questions both girls and boys have about their bodies and how parents can be better prepared to help their kids grow through adolescence. Dr. Larimore has ready answers to your family health concerns, and he and Neil unpack a number of topics:
- Body image and the media – Dr. Larimore strongly urges parents – keep media out of your kids’ bedrooms! No television, computer, smart phone, or other “unguarded” media. He references studies that show the damage that can occur when technology invades a person’s sleep space.
- Childhood obesity – half of all overweight teenagers are already pre-diabetic. Dr. Larimore says he’s seen a drastic increase in the number of young children with heart disease, arthritis, and diabetes due to being overweight.
- The importance of sleep – the less sleep we have, the more we eat. Dr. Larimore points to two hormones in the human body that increase and decrease in proportion to how many hours of sleep we get per night. Increasing our sleep by even 15 minutes a night makes a significant difference!
- Carbonated water and its effects on health
- Bone density
- How to talk with your child about sexuality and gender differences
4) The Girls book was featured in an Espresso Minute by iMOM
I love the ministry of iMOM and am pleased to be on their panel of experts. This week I was honored and grateful to be featured in one of their daily email Espresso Minutes about my newest book, “The Ultimate Girls’ Body Book: Not-so-silly questions about your body.” You can read the feature here. Below is information from the feature from the iMOM website.
There’s nothing like a little puberty talk to put an awkward silence into a conversation between a mom and child! That’s why we love a great new book by iMOM friend and medical expert Dr. Walt Larimore. It’s called The Ultimate Girls’ Body Book: Not-So-Silly Questions. What makes it great is that it has answers to questions your daughter just might not be comfortable asking you.
So from the book, here are an expert’s tips about talking to your kids about puberty, specifically how to put her at ease about what’s happening to her body. It’s a wonderful example of the type of information the book gives, and shows the caring way it’s conveyed.
If you have a son, check out The Ultimate Guys’ Body Book, also by Dr. Walt Larimore. It gives young men the information they need about puberty and sex, but might be too embarrassed to ask.
5) Listen to my interview about the Girls’ book on the “Legacy Out Loud” radio program with Carrie Abbott
Part 1: Carrie’s guest, Dr. Walt Larimore, gives great insight to parents who want to guide their daughters in the journey through adolescence and their body changes with humor, knowledge and facts. Listen to the program here.
Part 2: Carrie’s guest Dr. Walt Larimore provides important medical and biblical answers to some of the most common questions girls have about their growing bodies and relationships. Listen to the program here.
- Past Issues of our family newsletter can be read here: March 2014 or February 2014.
- The last issue of our family prayer letter can be read here: February 15 – April 14.
- You can get also more information on many of our upcoming events here.
A Final Thank You!!!
Barb and I are SO grateful for your prayer support for our ministry and for us. We simply could not do this without the precious gift of your prayers and friendship.