In this prayer letter:
- 1) Letter of thanks on Becoming Highly Healthy
- 2) A Person’s A Person, No Matter How Small
- 3) How to Cherish Your Wife
- 4) The Spiritual History
- 5) Medical News You Can Use
- 6) Article on Thrive Through Thanks
- PRAYER REQUESTS:
- 1) Current Writing Projects
- 2) Upcoming “Grace Prescription” Conferences for Healthcare Professionals
- 3) Upcoming Marriage Conference in Colorado Springs
- EVENTS OF THE LAST TWO MONTHS
- EVENTS OF THE NEXT TWO MONTHS
1) Letter of Thanks on Becoming Highly Healthy
I received this wonderful note, which was quite a blessing to me, about a health book I wrote nearly a decade ago. I’m thankful folks are getting help from it and wanted to share this note with you, as it was such a blessing for me.
I came across my copy of 10 Essentials of Highly Healthy People recently as we moved. I read it in Dec 2005 and remember what a significant impact it made on me. It changed my course.
I looked it over last night and remember how much I appreciated the refreshing perspective on health – real, total health. I still believe it’s the best perspective that I know about balancing the four tires – the four big areas. I recommend it to anyone.
My biggest need back then was my physical wheel. I started working out with my son (then in high school) in 2006 and have kept it up since then. It’s one of the things that I mention to folks about how to handle stress.
Prayer and exercise – those have been the key for me. Your book taught me so much, and many times reminded me of what I knew. I just remember that it was a big turning point. God used it in a powerful way in my life.
The ripple effects on my work at Spring Canyon, being a husband, and a father have been tremendous. I’m so pleased that I’ve kept it up over the years. I’ve improved in all four wheels of health. Your book was so practical and real, and I always loved the stories.
So remember this Thanksgiving that you are on my list of people and things that I am so thankful for. And you’ll continue to be on that list. You are gifted in many ways – thank you for sharing your gifts in God’s name!
Be strong and courageous,
Thanks, for the blessing, Dean. Your friendship and feedback are both precious gifts for me. And, for you, dear reader, if you’d like to read the book, it’s available here.
2) A Person’s A Person, No Matter How Small
Many of you so graciously pray for me while I’m out and speaking around the country. What you many not know is that one of my favorite talks to deliver is titled “A Person’s A Person, No Matter How Small,” and is available for download here.
I love to present this talk at Pregnancy Resource Center Fundraiser Events. These are amazing ministries do remarkable work for women in crisis pregnancies across the country.
One PRC director wrote me to say, “Walt, you were the most meaningful Gala speaker I’ve ever heard! Your stories are a cross between those of James Herriot and Garrison Keillor. Our attendees laughed and cried, but most of all, they were deeply moved.”
Most recently I was at the fundraiser for the PRC started by Pastor Tommy Nelson’s Denton Bible Church and the director of the event there was kind enough to record the event so you could listen to it. I hope, at the very least, that it’s a blessing for you. This hyperlink should take you to the recording. I hope it’s a blessing for you.
3) How to Cherish Your Wife
Focus on the Family broadcast a talk I gave on “How to Cherish Your Wife.” The original talk was given at a Focus on the Family Physicians’ conference back in the 1990s. Each time they broadcast the program, it’s been one of the most popular of the entire year.
- Wednesday, November 6, DAY ONE: How to Cherish Your Wife – Part 1
- Thursday, November 7, DAY TWO: How to Cherish Your Wife – Part 2
I hope you’ll listen in and be blessed. Do let me know what you think.
4) The Spiritual History
In the talk, I address (1) why health professionals are reluctant to take a spiritual history, (2) the positive association of spirituality/religiosity and physical/mental health, and (3) several spiritual history tools for health professionals to consider for use in clinical care.
You can also download a copy of my presentation handout from this page.
5) Medical News You Can Use
I’m thankful to the Lord that my daily health news blog is garnering growing numbers of interested readers. You can see the weekday blog here or listen to by going here and clicking on the news story you want to hear. You can also sign up to receive a daily email notice about each story by clicking here and looking for the “subscribe” button.
I hope you find it both fun and informative and join m in praying the Lord will use it to help many chose to become more highly healthy!
6) Article on Thrive Through Thanks
I’m thankful to the Lord for the opportunity to write a column for the Significant Living magazine. My most recent article, “Thrive Through Thanks,” can be viewed here. You can also check out the entire Table of Contents here.
1) Current Writing Projects
I’d be blessed if you’d continue to pray for three writing projects:
- I’m in the final editing of a new course I am co-authoring with pastor and theologian William Carr Peel, ThM, that is designed to teach health professionals how to bring their faith to work each day. The new course, Grace Prescriptions: Becoming a Spiritual Influence in Healthcare, will undergo its final beta test in Augusta, Georgia, in mid-January, and then will be filmed at Asbury College in early February (more details below)
- The Ultimate Girls’ Body Book: Not-So-Silly Questions About Your Body that I’ve co-written with Amaryllis Sanchez-Wohlever, MD, which is a book for girls heading into and through puberty—and their parents, is a sequel to The Ultimate Guys’ Body Book: Not-so-stupid questions about your body that was released in March 2012. There were some significant problems with the book when it was printed, so it is going to have to be re-printed and the release delayed from Christmas eve to mid-January. Signed copies will be available here after release. Here’s look at cover of the book:
- I’m also developing a proposal for a new book, tentatively titled Straight Talk about Your Health and Fitness: A complete guide to building your personal plan for the long run. I’m working on the proposal with Philip Bishop, EdD, a long-time friend and professor of exercise science at the University of Alabama.
- Last, but not least, I’m working on the third year of twice-a-day Biblical devotions for my Morning Glory, Evening Grace Devotions. You can see those that are published and sign up to receive them via email here.
2) Upcoming “Grace Prescription” Conferences for Healthcare Professionals
If you are a health professional, how often do you prescribe grace to your patients? Not just competent and compassionate care, which is important, but also specific and appropriate doses of grace that may bring your patients a step closer to a right relationship with God? Many of us in healthcare struggle with guilt and inadequacy in this area. But there is hope.
Consider joining me for one of two live seminars of a brand new course, called Grace Prescriptions, which is designed to teach health professionals to incorporate their spiritual faith with patients in ways that safeguard the important ethical principles of respect, sensitivity, and permission.
Originally taught in CMDA’s popular Saline Solution course, these concepts have proven to be effective as thousands of lives have been transformed. Grace Prescriptions builds on this legacy.
Here are two options for you to consider:
- Friday Evening and Saturday, January 17-18, 2014, in Augusta, GA.
- Saturday, February 8, at Asbury University in Wilmore, Kentucky
And, of course, if you can’t attend, I do hope you’ll pray for us as we’re teaching.
3) Upcoming Marriage Conference in Colorado Springs
For those of you who live in the Colorado Springs area, Barb and I will be teaching a marriage conference at the Glen Eyrie Conference Center on Friday and Saturday, January 10-11. The conference will be based on our book, His Brain, Her Brain: How divinely designed differences can strengthen your marriage.
This conference was originally scheduled for September, but the flash floods in Colorado Springs caused it to be canceled and rescheduled. So, we hope you can come. Our small group leader wrote this note about the Conference:
The Conference is more about understanding the opposite sex and thus one will drastically improve their marriage. It is open and encouraged for singles as well as couples. We feel anyone 18 or older will benefit.
Friday evening will start around 6 pm (to be finalized) with coffee and dessert available while Walt and Barb teach. That evening is expected to end around 9:30 pm. Saturday will go from about 8:30 am to around 7:30 pm. A continental breakfast, lunch and nice dinner will be included. A nice personal picture will be taken during the day.
Walt and Barb will have copies of their book there for sale and will be happy to autograph them. It is not necessary to read the book prior to the seminar.
Please feel free to share this with all your clients/friends. Anyone who wants to sign up should call 719-481-2409. The cost is $175 per couple.
And, of course, if you can’t come, we’d treasure your prayers for us and the attendees during the conference.
EVENTS OF THE LAST TWO MONTHS
- Oct 19, I flew to Sacramento, CA, to speak at a fundraising banquet for the newly forming Dream Center of Destiny Christian Church in Rocklin. I was blessed to participate in the “birth” of this wonderful ministry.
- Oct 24, I was in Denton, TX, to speak at the annual fundraising banquet for the Women to Women Pregnancy Resource Center (see “A Person’s A Person, No Matter How Small” above). You can listen to my talk here.
- Oct 29-Nov 2, I was back in Tulsa, OK, serving as a visiting professor at the In His Image Family Medicine Residency, while Barb spent a delightful time with a dear friend in Florida.
- Nov 7-9, I attended and taught at the Global Health Missions Conference at the Southeast Christian Church in Louisville, KY (see “The Spiritual History” above). You can listen to my presentation here.
- Nov 24-29, Barb and I celebrated Thanksgiving with son, Scott, daughter-in-love, Jennifer, and their girls in Decatur, Georgia.
- Dec 12-17, Barb and I will be in Baton Rouge celebrating a family reunion with her side of the family.
EVENTS OF THE NEXT TWO MONTHS
- Jan 10-11, Barb and I will teach a “His Brain, Her Brain: How divinely designed differences can strengthen your marriage” conference at the Glen Eyrie Conference Center in Colorado Springs. More details are available above.
- Jan 17-18, Barb and I will teach a “His Brain, Her Brain: How divinely designed differences can strengthen your marriage” conference at the winter retreat of the In His Image Family Medicine Residency in Tulsa, OK.
- Jan 22-24, 27, Barb and I will be visiting Scott, Jennifer, and the girls in Decatur, GA.
- Jan 25-26, I’ll be teaching a Grace Prescriptions conference in Augusta, GA.
- Jan 29-Feb 2, Barb and I will be in Phoenix where I’ll attended an AMA RUC meeting.
- Feb 6-9, I’ll be teaching and filming a Grace Prescriptions conference at Asbury College in Kentucky.
A Final Thank You!!!
Barb and I are SO grateful for your prayer support for our ministry and for us. We simply could not do this without the precious gift of your prayers and friendship.